Monday, December 26, 2016

Happy Kwanzaa!

Seven Days.  Not just one, like Christmas.
Of course, we get Xbox's on Christmas, not corn and fruit.

    In the spirit of other made-up holidays such as Valentines Day, Festivus, and Boxing Day, I thought I'd devote today's post to Kwanzaa, a celebration of Family, Community, and Culture.
"Did you know that 'Boxing Day' was made up?
On the other hand, I'm dead, so I don't give a crap."
    Created in 1966 by Maulana Karenga as a way for African-Americans to fully appreciate their heritage, Kwanzaa is a week long observance which revolves around the following seven core principles:

Unity:  Unity of family, community, and race
Self-Determination:  Define and name ourselves
Collective Work and Responsibility:  Build and maintain our communities together
Cooperative Economics:  Build and maintain our shops, stores, and other other businesses
Purpose:  Build our communities up so we can restore our people to their former greatness.
Creativity:  Always do as much as we can in order to leave our communities more beautiful and beneficial than we inherited.
Faith:  Believe in our family, friends, parents, teachers, leaders, and in the righteousness of our victory and struggle.

    Even though in its initial years, Karenga meant for Kwanzaa to be an "oppositional alternative" to Christmas, it has come to be more accepted by Christians and take its place in the "Happy Holidays" lexicon of American culture.

    Bottom line, made up or not, if someone wants to celebrate something, I couldn't care less if it was made up.  If it makes you happy, go crazy.
"Hey, did you make Penwasser write a serious post?
Well, cut it out!"
    Sigh...okay...while I could have gone crazy mocking this thing, I resisted.  I guess the spirit of the season made me more of a benevolent "mocker of the mockable."

    But, in order not to disappoint those who come here expecting high-quality comedy (NOTE:  those people have low standards), I've learned that "Kwanzaa" is a word from the Swahili language which means "Something to do after Christmas."

    That's all I'm going to say.


********
    This will be my last post for 2016.  I may comment on some of your blogs, I may not.  But I won't be writing anything new until the new year.

    So, until then, be kind to each other.  And, for goodness sake, don't juggle with knives, play with matches, or make fun of Trump supporters on Twitter or Facebook.
"Hear that, 'Runs With Scissors'?  He probably means you, too.  
You'll have to leave.  
And you can take that eel pie while you're at it, too."

NOTE:  Yes, this is a recycled joke.  But, it's the holidays.
Cut me some slack.
Thank you in advance for your understanding.

Finally, I know 'Boxing Day' is a real thing and has nothing to do with boxing, despite the name being the same.  I actually think it has something to do with FedEx or UPS or some other such shit.  Hey, I was first going to go with Canadian Thanksgiving, but I didn't want to tick Pat Hatt off.  

You're welcome.

18 comments:

  1. lol bah, we just have thanksgiving early, that's all. Boxing day is a day off, or a day spent shipping everything back. Can be hectic for some. And agreed, if you want to celebrate, go crazy. Just some crazies stay far away from me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always thought Canadian Thanksgiving meant more pleasant outdoor dining than November.

      Delete
  2. I always forget the story of Kwanzaa. It has become its own thing now though. I should probably remember the story by now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's understandable. Being American and all. Hope this helps. It's actually all true...lol.

      Delete
  3. Any day off of work is a good day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wholeheartedly agree, but we don't.
      Bummer.

      Delete
  4. Due to doing heaps of Christmas post over the last few years I have heard of Kwanzaa just saying. Yesterday were the Boxing Day sales here and you know what, I didn't leave the house and bought nothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went to work. Didn't box nobody, either.

      Delete
  5. Trump has created the Department of Kwanzaa to show he truly cares. He's nominated Dylann Roof to be its secretary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I personally would love to pull the switch that would fry that psycho POS.

      Delete
  6. Every holiday was made up by someone at some point. Even Christmas. Seriously. (Some emperor was trying to supplant Yule, the pagan holiday, which was also made up by someone at some point way way way back in history or prehistory.)

    I'm totally OK with the mocking of any holiday you wish. (I kinda hate all holidays, so there's that.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I care as much about Kwanzaa as any other holiday. If people enjoy it, why not?
      I'll still plumb it for comedy, though.

      Delete
  7. Created in 1966? Sounds like a great idea that was invented 100 years too late. Boxing Day, on the other hand, was invented too early. Should have waited til the Rumble in the Jungle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No way it would have happened in 1866.
      Change happens slowly,
      Good for whomever this is special!

      Delete
  8. Happy Kwanzaa... Now when is happy Penwasser Day?
    Drink beer and make merry. Happy New Year too.
    Read ya in 2017. Can it be any crazier with new material than 2016?? We can only hope

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be doing nothing special the rest of the week.
      Next week I'll resume.
      Unless I need to shovel the driveway.

      Delete
  9. I think you have the right idea.....celebrate any time or any day of the week. We have too many holidays now but perhaps that's because I don't work outside the house. I love Mondays when everyone is usually back to work and I have the neighborhood all to myself. Selfish little witch that I am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not the only one. I, too, love it when everyone else is at work. One of the reasons I like working nights is that I'm by myself during the day.

      Delete