Thursday, July 14, 2016

Captain Caption 100 (aka C)

    How time flies!

    Can you believe we're finally up to the hundredth Captain Caption!  I mean, good grief, that's a whole lotta pictures and a whole lotta captions!

    Started as a way of posting something quick and easy without the necessity of actually having to write anything  that would tickle your funny bone, the predecessor to Captain Caption was, of course, Facebook Funnies.

    As originally intended, the concept behind Facebook Funnies was to get laughs from two sets of followers without having to do any extra work provide you a glimpse of something I had posted on Facebook as Al Penwasser (or that Lynch guy).

    And so, it came to pass on June 23, 2012 with a picture of Barack Obama and Elena Kagan.
"Trust me, if this Supreme Court gig doesn't work out,
you can always go back to being Doug.
From King of Queens."
"Wait.  I thought I was Doug.
From King of Queens."
    
"And I'm Jake.
From State Farm."


    However, after fifty or so of those, I decided to downplay the Facebook connection after Mark Zuckerberg threatened to sue.  I decided to give you, my faithful followers, something fresh, something that no one has seen before.  Which I then posted on Facebook.  So, yeah, effectively the same thing. 

    The biggest problem I had was trying to figure out what to call it. After asking for your opinions, I settled on that suggested by Pat Hatt:  Captain Caption (seriously, you should know this). 

    So, bottom line, you can blame the Canadian poet.  All hate mail can be sent to Pat c/o www.rhymetime24.blogspot.com.  Tell him Al sent you.

    The very first Captain Caption (frankly, I'm getting tired of typing it) debuted on July 18, 2013:

"I'll bet you that, if I aim just right, I'll be able to hit my horse right in the frikkin' skull.  That'll sure teach those Je...hey, wait, that can't be right.  Oh, well, I'll just go marry my sister instead."

   When reviewing this, I initially thought this had some sort of anti-Semitic vibe going on, but that's not the case (thankfully sparing me the wrath of Robyn Engel).  Actually, this was a play on the pursuit of the Hebrews and Charlton Heston by Yul Brynner and the Egyptians.

    And that Egyptian royalty tended to marry their siblings.
"Shoot, yew say that lahk it's a bad thing."
    Anyway, I've analyzed the subjects I chose for CC (got sooo 
"Or YUGE!!!"
tired of writing the whole thing out).  I thought that political figures would figure large.



    But, this was not the case.

    Surprisingly, I used non-political topics a substantial number of times, 39 as a matter of fact.  These usually had nothing to do with a particular person and quite often reflected something that struck me as funny or as something that was recently going on in the world or in the country.  The below is an example inspired by the Ferguson, Missouri riots:
"Budweiser-Official Beer of Inner City Rioting Since 1876."
    I was actually happy that this was the case, because I don't want to be accused of picking on a particular political person.  This gets even more problematic when I chose someone who may not be as readily recognizable to my overseas friends or someone from the Detroit Public School District.

    Although, not surprisingly, Barack Obama came in #2 with 20 appearances.
"I think it's a play on words.  I think he's calling you 'poop.'"
    As we slide inexorably toward the apocalypse in November, I'm sure that Mr. Obama will be supplanted in the second position, although in my heart, he'll always be #2.  

    I'm sure that you can come up with someone who will find himself (or herself) more and more here in Blogger.

"I can't think of anybody more qualified to be in Captain Caption, believe me.  Penwasser would be an idiot if he didn't use me more and more, because if anyone makes people laugh more than me, it's me.  I will make Penwasser Place great again because I'm a businessman who knows how to win.  In fact, you're going to get sick of winning, and laughing, or both.  You'll throw up from laughing so much.  Or after seeing those nudie pics of me.  Whatever.
CHINA!!"

    Incidentally, Iran/Muslims/Jihadis came in #3.  Thank goodness they didn't come in any higher.  Then, you may not want to be seen with me.
"Speaking of, you get that fatwa on Penwasser in the mail?"
"DEATH TO AMERICA!"
"So, that's a yes?"

    As if you needed a reason.


  
 

32 comments:

  1. Why am I always inclined to make a terribly non-PC comment here? In that first photo, Al, again I ask - is that a man, a woman or...Caitlin? Sorry to be offensive. But that's what this place is for. Right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oy vey, Al, I'd clearly not read this carefully. I confess. Confession and Hail Mary-ing and then sinning against is what you peeps do. Right? My peeps just keep sinning and call it a blessing, like having sex on shabbat. But we know I don't get any of that. You evaded my wrath, but only if that means you didn't get a long rambling non-sensical comment or two. Sheesh. Would someone shut the little Jewish woman up? She's a bit snooty and entitled and she doesn't stop yapping...

      Delete
    2. Is sex on a shabbat uncomfortable?

      Delete
  2. What started out as a way to make a silly little post here and there became a long post in the end after enough time had passed. I guess you just can't escape work my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three years. And how I've grown and matured!

      Delete
  3. congrats on 100. I came late to the party, but it's been worth it. Sure CHINA will make headway in the listing. Captions for all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will be continuing these after the apocalypse, right?
    Congratulations on a hundred!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe from my fallout shelter. There's sure to be good zombie pics.

      Delete
  5. Congrats on 100. The cat will get an ego boost if any hate mail comes haha The apocalypse may be upon us, maybe the Mayans were just 4 years too early.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The title is yours, all yours. So you have THAT going for you.

      Delete
  6. Let's see... 100 cc? That's what, somewhere between three and four ounces, right? Sounds like a good-sized shot to celebrate this auspicious occasion, so I'll drink to that! (Iced tea, of course.) Here's to the next 100. May you keep us all laughing for many more years to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      Make mine a frosty Yuengling.

      Delete
  7. Congrats on 100 captions. Some are just too funny and I bet Trump will try to sue you

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nothing quite celebrates 100 captions like reliving the female Paul Blart. Someone get that woman a Segway. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Two things: So then this is CCC? Hopefully Crown Container Company won't sue.

    Second: Truer words never spoken than "He'll always be #2 to me."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee...hee...hee. We'll always have Slappy (and Idiot Joe) to make fun of.

      Delete
  10. Captain Caption? You need to advance. I think you should be promoted to Major Mashuguna. Or something.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As a Johnny-come-lately to the blog, I appreciated the history lesson on CC. Thanks. Now I think I'm up to speed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My insanity goes farther back than that.

      Delete
  12. If you ever grow and mature I might stop visiting here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maturity.
      Generally not something I do.

      Delete
  13. I wonder if Martin based Targaryen marriage on Egypt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really WAS going to go for a GOT allusion.
      Bravo!
      Or should that be...Braavos?

      Delete
  14. I send ALL my hate mail to the cat, so no worries there.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Trump and the Ayatollah is a powerful combination - it's got a Book or Revelation, Horsemen of the Apocalypse feel about it. If only you could get them into the same picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never see them together, do you?
      Hmmmmmm....

      Delete