Saturday, April 30, 2016

'Z' is for 'Zyzzyva'



Zyzzyva:  Any of various tropical American weevils of the genus Zyzzyva (which, I would think, goes without saying), often destructive to plants and nearly impossible to pronounce without giggling.
"Okay, put down the can of Raid, walk away,
and there'll be no trouble.
 'Course, I'll seriously eff up your garden."
    As I contemplated my final entry for the A-Z Challenge which, as luck would have it, coincides with the last letter of the alphabet, I decided to once again consult my American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language.
Very useful reference with a lot of words (who knew?).
It doesn't have the "F" word, though.
I guess they don't wish to be obscene.
No shit.
    You may recall that this is the source I consulted when trying to decide on what my 'A' post should be.  At the time, I thought it would be a kick going with the very first word.

    Which, surprisingly, was not "aardvark."
"Which really sucked.
I so wanted to be a star on Penwasser Place."


"Trust me.
It ain't all it's cracked up to be."
    And so the post for 'Aachen' was born.  I hope you liked my tale of this quaint European town.  If you haven't read it (and really have nothing else better to do), please feel free to go back in time to that day in April which seems like almost a month ago.
Repeat picture from the Aachen post.
NOTE:  Charlemagne not drawn to scale.

NOTE to the NOTE:  Rehashed joke from repeat picture.  Hey, I'm tired.
    Or you can just read this.

    Anyway, in similar fashion, I decided to use the last word in the dictionary to bookend my participation in this year's challenge.

    As I hope you noticed from the above, a "zyzzyva" is, basically, a bug.  But, as I further investigated the word, it's more than that. Apparently, it's also the name for a San Francisco Journal of Arts and Letters which can be found by going to www.zyzzyva.org. 
This was also in Google Images under "zzyzzyva."
?????????????????????????????
    As I further scanned this site, I think I much prefer the bug.
You bet something will happen.
Since it's from San Francisco, I probably shouldn't be surprised.
Then again, it has boobies.
"Well, so do I."

    On second thought, I'd rather have a critter ravage my plants.


Okay, that's a wrap for the 2016 A-Z Challenge.  I need to return to working on my book and walking around the yard with my shirt off.  Let's go have a beer!

Or several.


Welcome, May!

29 comments:

  1. Congrats on making it to the end. And here I thought there wasn't a sillier word than Zyzzyx. (Which used to crack me and my brother up when we were driving through the desert to Las Vegas. Who would name a place that? And how does one pronounce it?)

    Liz A. from Laws of Gravity

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me at beer. I would have said boobs but the reference picture was pretty effed up! Congrats on the finish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that is truly fascinating, because there's a blog called "zyzzyv (adults only)" that links to my blog. I dare you to look it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wait, it's actually called "zyzzyz (adults only) but you can still look it up.

      zyzzyz.blogspot.com

      Delete
    2. If the picture on the cover of of that book is any indication, I'm sure it's a doozy.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on finishing the challenge. Your posts have been very entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on making it through. That dancing, stretching, umm whatever they are doing pic is strange. Something sure will happen. Zyzzyva sounds like a nap interrupted. I'll take the bugs too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheers my friend and maybe put a shirt on for the sake of planet earth. Or use sunscreen . Your blog is a treat and yet...dang itchy bugs...gotta go

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So...pants probably goes without saying.

      Delete
  7. Yay! You made it without visible scars and you can still speak (or write) legibly! Winner-winner! Congrats, Al.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on finishing the A to Z! I like that you finished it with a bug but a very pretty bright red one. Now we can all rest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had two beers and fell asleep on the couch. For a guy in his 50s, that's livin' large.

      Delete
  9. I mean, seriously. You can't go wrong with boobies, amiright? Way to finish strong, Al, and as you said, welcome May!
    (Which reminds me, my debit card is now expired, and my bank never sent me a new one. Crappity-crap.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good grief, that sucks.
      Boobies, Beer, and Baseball. My personal trifecta. Pretty much in that order.

      Delete
  10. When I read "weevils," a tune came to mind: "Weevils wobble but they don't fall down."

    Congratulations, Al. You did it right - fun, entertaining, and weird. You're the best that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sailors wobble, but they DO fall down.
      But, they sometimes get back up. Unless the floor in the bathroom is nice and cool.

      Delete
  11. Great! Another bug that could invade my garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anything I can do to help you avoid calling it a "DLRB" (Damn Little Red Bug).

      Delete
  12. Congratulations on the completion of the A-Z challenge :) that word would make a helluva high Scrabble point total.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bugs....bah humbug. Being invaded by the wasps is bad enough. I hung a wasp trap in a tree. I hope they know what it's for. lol
    Congrats on the big finish. I'm a wimp-out this year.

    ReplyDelete