Monday, April 18, 2016

'O' is for 'Oh, My'



    On April 20, 1937, a baby boy was born in Los Angeles, California.  His mother, Fumiko Emily, was born in Sacramento while his father, Takekuma Norman, was born in Yamanashi Prefecture on Japan's main island of Honshu.

    Christened Hosato (it took a while to get that dent out of his head
"Jolly good, that locks up the
Japanese-American demographic.
Wait a tic.  I'm King.
 I don't need any bloody demographics."
from the champagne bottle), he was quickly given another name by his Anglophile father in honor of King George VI of England.


    Of course, this was several years before World War II started and the family was shipped off to a Japanese-American Internment Camp in Arkansas.  Takekuma may have then reconsidered giving his son a "white dude's" name.

    Then, the actor who played Mr. Sulu on Star Trek (seriously, does anyone not know that?) would have been Hosato, instead of George, Takei.

    Wasn't this a gosh-darned clever few paragraphs?


"Captain, I'm seeing Klingons on Uranus!!"
NOTE:  Please excuse this tired,
old junior high school joke
    George Takei went to a very successful career where he...uh...became...uh...typecast as the helmsman of the USS Enterprise both on television and in several motion pictures about Star Trek (really, anyone?).




"Okay, pilgrim, I need an Asian for this role.
You look Asian.  Want a job?"
    

     He also played Captain Nim in the John Wayne epic about the Vietnam War, The Green Berets.  Filmed primarily in Georgia (because...are you frikkin' kidding me?  It's too dangerous in Asia!), this film launched Takei right onto the bridge of the Enterprise.  Where he pretty much remained.


"Wait.  My name's Chang?
I thought I was Klingon."
    Eventually, Hikaru Sulu was promoted to captain of USS Excelsior and played a pivotal part in helping the Enterprise defeat Captain Chang's Klingon Bird of Prey at the Khitomer meeting in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country.

    


Dear Lord, that I know that.

"That's cool!  PENWASSER ROCKS!!"

    So, what the heck does any of this have to do with the letter 'O?'
you might be asking?  Well, besides the fact I had nothing else for that letter, Takei went on from outer space (yes, yes, I know, smart guy.  'Outer' starts with an 'o.' Shut up) to become an activist for the LGBT movement (he's gay...did I mention that?).  

    No, I never considered, "Oh my God, he's gay!"  Grow up.

    He's a very outspoken proponent of the movement and is very active on Facebook and on Twitter.  As am I.  Meaning...we're not so very different, he and I.
    
    NOTE:  Accidental, meaningful sentiment.  Not the gay part.  You know what I mean.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.

      WARNING:  Curve ball ahead.

    Taco Bell has recently introduced a new menu item called the
"Nein, nein!!
Vas ist das mit der shtupid
fake Mexican food!?
Bring back Takei!  Schnell, schnell
or I'll shoot meinself!!"

"Quesalupa."  Described as a cross between a quesadilla and a chalupa, it stuffs lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, seasoned beef, and reduced fat sour cream into two soft tortillas which are deep-fried into the shape of a taco.

    
    

   
"Reduced fat?  Sweet.  I can have a cool dozen."


 It sounds absolutely delicious.
  
Probably has some side effects, though.
Because Taco Bell.
    And...hey!!!!  Doesn't "Quesalupa' start with 'Q?'  Wouldn't it be better in a 'Q' post?

    Well, yeah.  But, 'O' comes before 'Q.'  Don't worry, I'm gonna wrap this all up eventually.

    Where was I?  Oh yeah, I just saw a commercial where George Takei was the spokesman for the Quesalupa.  It intrigued me because I actually like Taco Bell and thought the thing looked pretty good, risk of gastro-intestinal distress notwithstanding.  Plus, it gave me the inspiration I needed for another post.

    The more I looked at George cavorting around the screen as he extolled the tasty deliciousness of this fast food digestive landmine, the more I realized that we've come a long, long way from the bridge of a starship (or even a Georgia forest made to look like a Vietnamese jungle).
Not this kind of cavort, though.
"Ooh, but look at Mr. Sulu all sweaty and with his shirt off!"
"Warp speed engaged!"

In other words...

"OHHHHH, MYYYYY!"


      See?  'O.'

      Now I just need to figure out 'Q."
     
 

32 comments:

  1. I love when George Takei says, "Oh, myyyy." Why? I have no idea.

    Cherdo
    Cherdo on the Flipside
    "Favorite Characters, Favorite Lines" on the A-to-Z Challenge 2016

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because it's funny. The guy cracks me up. I really like that Taco Bell commercial.

      Delete
  2. I knew George Takei better because of his facebook page of funny pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you took the long way around but you got there....Oh My....or Oy Vey...be very continental

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does that mean I have to speak French now?
      Oh, my.

      Delete
  4. One of my favourite George Takei stories is his role on Heroes. He played Hiro Nakamura's dad and they cast him because he's a famous Japanese guy. Unfortunately he didn't actually speak any Japanese. So he had to learn it for the show. I may never have grown up with Star Trek but I still really appreciate what that show did. You also can't forget the strides it made for black people with the Uhara character. Whoopi Goldberg practically begged to be in Next Generation and worked at a super reduced rate because she loved what the original series did for black people and considered Uhara to be one of her most important role models.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, all kidding aside...a good, good man.

      Delete
  5. It's okay to be Takei. George says so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More girls for me.
      "If you were the last man on the planet, we'd all become lesbians."
      - Women, Planet Earth

      Delete
  6. Resist the urge to eat Taco Bell or you will wind up looking like that rhino. (Why do you think George is saying Oh my?)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad Taco Bell didn't name that fried taco Uranus and have a Klingon in the commercial. I always like George Takei. I wish I remember the movie but he made some film where he played a Japanese commandant and was proud of his role but don't know the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guess what topic I've chosen for 'U?'
      Yeah, I'm childish that way.

      Delete
  8. Well if you get enough Taco Bell you and Bones will look much different in a few months. Oh my may be the nicest response you get.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL ..I'm so lost, on this one :) Props for this a-z challenge. I love reading them!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From Japan to Outer Space to rhino diarrhea, I try to cover all bases.

      Delete
  10. I love the logic-defying stream of consciousness in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my what to say about this post well what can one really say other then oh my

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

      Delete
  12. The post was so interesting that I didn't notice until you mentioned, what does it have to do with Oh My, that I was on the back side of the barn, stumbling over rusted out car parts and dilapidated bunny cages, trying to come around. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      I tried to lob in a curve ball.

      Delete
  13. George Takei seems wonderfully clever and funny. I had no idea his family was in an internment camp. I'm unaware of commercials because I watch PBS, something on streaming, or I DVR a show and zip through the commercials. I'm surprised by the looks of surprise I receive when I say I've never seen a particular commercial. Why watch commercials unless you want to use one in a blog post?

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Did you share this on his Facebook page? I bet he would be honored.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually did. I hope he reads it and, if he does, likes it. I really like the guy. Although not THAT way. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

      Delete
    2. I hope so too. I know he reads comments on things he posts because I've seen him reply to people.

      Delete