Tuesday, April 5, 2016

'D' Is For 'Diabeetus'



    I like to think of myself as an educated person.  For instance, whenever someone gets something completely bass ackwards, like not knowing socks are supposed to go on before shoes, I self-righteously roll my eyes.  Adopting a superior air, I tell them how it's done.  Then, shoo them on their way to the Trump rally.
"Teacher says people who make fun
of other people for mispronouncing
words are pretentious A-Holes."

   I'm especially impatient whenever somebody either misspells or mispronounces a word.

    So it was whenever I'd hear Wilford Brimley go on and on about diabetes.  To be sure, his exhortations to eat right and exercise are right on the money.  But, when it came to his calling it, "dahy-uh-BEE-tis," I'd guffaw to anyone unfortunate enough to be in the same room as I, "That's not how you pronounce it.  What a dope!"

 
"Shit.  This is probably my fault, too."
  Then, when I heard an announcer on the Rescue Medical Minute pronounce it that way, I checked on dictionary.com.  While I knew I was right, I wanted to make sure.  So, I could write an outraged letter to someone.  Anyone.


    
    Hmm, wouldn't you know it, not only is Wilford right, but "dahy-uh-BEE-tis" is the preferred way to say "diabetes."  MY pronunciation, "dahy-uh-BEE-teez" is merely secondary.
"Yeah, not as smart as you thought, huh? Punk."

    Well, color me an elitist purveyor of the spoken word.

    I hope I said that right.

"It's supposed to be
'I hope I said that correctly,' you moe-ron!"

      

22 comments:

  1. I have been known to say words wrong or write poorly...probably like now but I say diabetes the way you do. I hate it when people pronounce Irac as I- arc when it should be different( ok it's late and I don't know how to spell it phonetically. As for Wilfred Brimley, he was talking about Quaker Oats being good for you when I thought he was in his 80's but he was only in his late 50's or something. Those oats are not doing anything for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has never looked young to me. On the other hand, he doesn't seem to look older.

      Delete
  2. just call it - "you know, that sugar disease" and you'll be covered. No matter what, serious disease. Wilfred....his name is Wilfred for goodness sake - now that's a name to chuckle about. (and I say Wilford)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I actually looked up how to spell his name because I thought it WAS Wilfred.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Most public figures have pictures which scream for captions.

      Delete
  4. I say it the way you do too. Maybe it's like those words such as check and cheque that gets screwed up along the way with yanks and wanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And spanks.
      Isn't it sad that I know another word for it?

      Delete
  5. Blame it on Oh-bama, Al. It's his fault.
    And Gary COLE-minz.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WilFORD, huh? Didn't know that either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I really thought it was Wilfred.

      Delete
  7. Do you remember the black maidservant in the Tom and Jerry cartoons? (Is it racist to even mention her?) I'd just love to hear her pronounce it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do (it's not). Yeah, that'd be funny!

      Delete
  8. Wait! I thought Brimley's name was Brumley? Aw heck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See? How cool would it be to have a name nobody knew how to pronounce?

      Delete
  9. Given a choice of two ways to pronounce a word, I always pick the wrong one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was a substitute teacher taking the roll one day, there was a girl in class whose last name was "Koch."
      I COULD have pronounced it "KOTCH."
      I COULD have pronounced it "COOK."
      But, no, THIS moron pronounced it "COCK."
      There was also a boy named "Colin" in the class.
      Yes, I pronounced it the wrong way, too.

      Delete
  10. Ah hell, I just call it sugar sick!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hell yeah I also get annoyed when I hear people mispronounce Melbourne just saying the way the yanks say it is wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pronounce it "MelBORN," but I bet that's wrong. Is it "MelBURN"?
      Or some other way?

      Delete
  12. Which ever way you choose to say it, it means no extra cookies before bedtime.

    Which sucks.

    ReplyDelete