Thursday, January 14, 2016

Happy New Year!

    I know, I know, the new year is already two weeks old.  I should have written this no later than some time last week, but I had a couple of "Captain Captions" to write and, besides, I needed to attend wild Epiphany celebrations.  So, bottom line, it took until almost the second round of the NFL playoffs (sorry, Bengals fans...too soon?) to get this to you.


The Bengals have elected to receive.
    Sadly, I think 2016 is going to be a bad year.  And not just because it's a leap year, meaning there's an added day tacked onto February (a sucky month in a good year), but...WARNING: SERIOUSNESS AHEAD...I  fear that there is going to be an extraordinary amount of hate between now and December 31st. And more than a couple people all over the globe won't live to see 2017. 

    Not that 2015 was a blissful romp back to happier days, but an election year is going to ratchet the invective to unbelievable levels. Add to this, a group of people still exist who have said they want to kill us just because we live in the 21st century.  

    Well, it all makes my head hurt.

    Make no mistake-finger pointing and rabid outrage will come from all sides.  I have no intention of turning Penwasser Place into a platform for this set of beliefs or that.  I generally try to avoid that on Facebook or Twitter, too (not always successful, unfortunately), but I sincerely want this blog to be a happy place where you can have a laugh or two.  I don't want to add to the societal angina...with the exception that I'll continue to poke fun at those in the public eye.  But, it would never be in hate (unless I make fun of ISIS.  I hate those guys) because it's what I do.  To mine ownself, be true.  

    But, if you seriously think that "your" guy (or lady) has the market cornered on virtue, yikes.  Very few do.  It's painfully sad that we may have to settle for the lesser of two evils.

    I'm just dismayed that the word "evil" is even in the conversation.

    Has this been a bummer of a post?  

    Sorry.  

    How 'bout some dudes in tightey-whiteys to cheer you up?

"Hey, lookit the guy in front.  Is that Batman?"
"I'm not sure, but isn't Gary Coleman dead?"

 

22 comments:

  1. My eyes are bleeding...
    Yeah, lesser of two evils, and I'm not sure there is one. Might be the first time I don't vote since I turned eighteen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol yeah, that will sure cheer anyone up, err umm. Well it is more cheerful than thinking of Trump with control of nuclear weapons. If that idiot wins the world is screwed. Not that Clinton is much better, but at least she'll have to waste time covering up Bill's escapades and might not have time to push any buttons lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One thing that bothers me (it truly does), is this how Germany looked in the early 1930s?
      Except, like you said, with nukes.

      Delete
    2. History does seem to be repeating itself on a different side of the map.

      Delete
  3. I think the leap year only matters to those born on February 29

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But, they're only a fourth as old as those born on February 28th.
      The sad thing? You could get at least one person to believe that.

      Delete
  4. February does suck. But what sums up America and the world is that more people will watch the Super Bowl than vote, kill, and buy your book and mine. How's that for perspective? Keep us laughing Al.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to argue that Super Bowl fact, but, alas, I cannot.

      Delete
  5. Suckee, suckee,suuuckee
    Yup....the last year. I almost opened my mouth but I restrained
    myself. Aren't you proud of me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to be optimistic, but I can't. You and I both know it's going to come from all directions this year.
      :-(

      Delete
  6. My mom has been touting the lesser of two evils since the 80s. Possibly even before that.
    I am just looking forward to leaving my truck loan behind at the end of this year.
    Many, many people are so sad and angry at the way everything is and that anger is getting expressed. Not right, but that is how it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found myself getting upset the last few months of 2015.
      Ain't looking good so far this year.

      Delete
  7. Too much crap will happen this year as happens in every year. It is best to make fun and bring some of these nuts down a peg or 2 with some hilarity and jest:) The little guy has fat thighs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I goof around.
      That's why the little guy uses Jenny Craig.

      Delete
  8. I know what you're saying, it's why I've tried to stay off the subject (blog wise) unless some desperately stupid shithead needs rebuking. On the other hand, if I have to, I have a shiny bright soapbox that I'm not afraid to use. If they're gonna hate me anyway, let me give 'em a reason.

    Luckily, about one weekend a month on FB gets it out of my system.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really try to keep the blog light. Facebook? Not as much.

      Delete
  9. Hey, how'd he get out of the cooler.
    I love ya, yet I disagree. There is a good option, and the prospect of a Jewish man in office makes me thrilled. Bern, Baby, Bern. Plus, Al, if Warren's his running mate...Alright, I assume you don't agree, but he's doing well in the polls. The world still sucks. There's that. But Gary's thighs are humongous, and he lives on. There's that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do disagree, but that's not the point here. I'm going to keep Penwasser Place as free of these types of discussions as I possibly can because, believe it or not, rancor upsets me.
      I WILL say this, I admire Sanders for the fact that I believe he's an honest man
      And Gary should invest in a thigh master.
      Love ya, my good friend!

      Delete
  10. I know and I agree, Al. Rancor is rancid and really upsetting. Yeah, Gary's thighs are bigger than my waist. And I don't have a small waist. Love and stuff but nothing inappropriate. Not me, not ever.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Al, once in awhile you're allowed to be yourself and share your thoughts without the humor. I have a feeling that you are right on a lot of these. We are in a very scary time as a country and also as individuals. Crime is happening all around us and innocent people are being hurt/killed. We have to be on guard and suspicious all the time. It's sad. As for the guys in their underwear...meh. Doesn't do it for me. Now if that were Ray Fiennes or Mads Mickelson(>) that's another post for another day...lol

    ReplyDelete