Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Happy Winter Solstice!

    Today, December 22nd (which you would know if you looked at your calendar), is the Winter Solstice, the shortest day of the year.  In the Northern Hemisphere.  It's the longest day of the year in Australia.  I think.  Who cares?  They're all at the beach.
"You do know this is a topless beach, don't you, Sheila?"
    From this day forward, the Earth will begin to tilt back towards the sun and the days will begin to grow longer.  In Australia, the Earth will begin to tilt away from the sun and their days will begin to grow shorter.  Take that, mates.
"It tilts faster when I do step aerobics.
Which is never."
    Eventually, we'll be at the beach and they won't be.


Of course, there'll be this.  So....
    That's about as detailed as I want to get.  I still have Christmas shopping to do.

    And, you lot in Sydney?  You need to put on more sunscreen.


    While you can.


"Happy Winter Solstice, brothers and sisters!"
"Cool!  Do we get presents?"
"Well...no."
"What about a festive dinner with family and friends?"
"No."
"Caroling?"
"No."
"Egg nog?"
"No."
"Sleigh rides?"
"No."
"'A Christmas Story' marathon on TBS?"
"No."
"Stockings hung by the chimney with care?"
"No."
"Well, that sucks."
"But, we do get to sacrifice a goat."
"Well, that's someth...no that sucks, too."
"Hey!  Where are you going?"
"To Mass.  At least the Catholics have wine."

17 comments:

  1. lol you may want to sacrifice more than a goat if you have to go out and shop today or tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good day to sacrifice a goat in Indiana...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's celebrate the longest night of the year...wait what?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh-I thought we sacrificed a goat as well? Maybe that should be a new nativity image?? No...I don't think that would fly. Ughh-we have 12C here today and 14C by Christmas Eve which sucks! Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's eighty degrees and humid. If it gets much warmer, I'll have to turn on the AC. But I never shovel snow.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  6. glad you are not sacrificing a kangaroo - now that would be sad. Enjoy your winter solstice stew (I think I'll take the vegan portion please)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What do you suppose Gary Coleman's doing to celebrate the shortest day of the year, Al?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is actually an inside joke. I posted a picture of dudes in their tighty-whiteys where one of them looks like Gary Coleman. I've also posted a picture of a Coleman Cooler, saying it was Gary's coffin. Poor taste? Well, sure. For that is what I do. ;-)

      Delete
    2. In other words, just because you're dead is no reason to stay out of Penwasser Place!

      Delete
  8. Catholics have wine, but I prefer roasted goat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I just turned into a Druid. Anyway, longest day, shortest day, I thought every day was 24 hours long!

    Have a good one, dude.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's Christmas Eve here now and after a cold wet day it is again sunny and warm, just have to add you don't see me at the beach I have a problem with sand, in that I don't like it on my skin, mum can remember taking me to the beach as a baby and I screamed because the sand got on my body

    ReplyDelete
  11. No "A Christmas Story "marathon on TBS? Now that's going too far. Yesterday was such a damp and dreary day here anyway, that I didn't even notice that it was the shortest day of the year.

    Merry Christmas to you, your stiff sidekick Bones, and your extremely tolerant family!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  12. That wine is indeed torquey.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete