Sunday, November 15, 2015

Manners, Please

    I believe, that unlike Joe Biden (who is still struggling with that whole vexing "what color is blue?" conundrum) that we can learn something new every day.

"You would think somebody would give me a clue."

     So it is I learned something today.
    
    When reading and commenting on your blogs (which really is my favorite thing to do), I happened upon Cherdo On the Flipside.*  Her latest (which may not be her "latest," anymore) was "Thank You, Red Cup."  In her post, she slew the silliness which has attached itself to the red cups that Starbucks is selling during this Christmas season.  Yes, I know that it's not Thanksgiving yet, but if Lowes and Home Depot are to be believed, the Yuletide is nearly here.
     
"Betcher ass!"

    Concise, succinct and (unlike anything here) coherent, she described the ridiculous knees-bent running about which is taking place over a private business not putting "Merry Christmas" on frikkin' beverage containers.
    
    I commented on her well-written essay with, undoubtedly, a rambling mess (for this is what I do).  Anyway, she deleted my comment because her blog is read by young folks.  Apparently, I used some language which was offensive.  At no time was I offended.  As a matter of fact, I was embarrassed.  And curious what I had written.  I'm old.  I sometimes forget.  She assured me that I didn't use "that" word.  So, that left me wondering what it was I had written.
    
"It better not have been that
word people call me behind my back!"

"Or to your face, you stupid cu...heyyyyyy darlin', you from around here?"


    Since I normally think of Starbucks as "pretentious A-Holes," that may have been it.  Can you imagine a little kid calling another little kid a "pretentious A-Hole?"  Yeah, I would have deleted me, too.
    
"Well, now, that's a little uncalled for, don'tcha think?
You the one who ordered the Venti latte?
Dickface."

    I know what you're wondering, "So what did you learn Al?  That you're a foul-mouthed little dwarf?"  Guilty as charged, your honor.  Maybe not completely foul-mouthed-I don't normally use "that" word...okay, fuck-my language may be inappropriate for young ears.  Or Grandma.
    
"Fuckin' A.  Lap dance?"

    No, what I learned is that, when we visit other peoples' blogs, we are effectively visiting their "homes."  Granted, you don't have to wipe your feet or even put on pants.  But, we still should observe some element of decorum.  Don't go in there and "Eff this" and "Eff that."
    
"And thank Christ for that!"

"No problem, Slim!"
    Same with any social media.  Because you don't know who is on the other end.  Good grief, I don't want  to hear some five year old say "Because Al Penwasser says they're frikkin' douche canoes at Chuck E. Cheese." on the news.  The world is messed up enough as it is.
    
    No sense contributing to it.
    
    So, from now on, I will be much more circumspect (love those big words) when engaging in a discussion  on someone's blog, Facebook, Twitter, or MySpace.
"MySpace?  You're kidding, right?"
    Cherdo is what we call...mature.  And I respect her decision to expunge my comment as much as I respect (and admire) her. As for Penwasser Place?  Well, knock yourselves out.  There isn't anyone here who would have a problem with anything anyone wrote.  Mrs. Penwasser doesn't even read this.  Incidentally, though, you'll never see any word of criticism of her.  Because, my luck, that'll be the day she decides to read.
    
    And if anyone has a problem?  Well, tough shit.

*Yeah, I just "happened" upon her blog.  She's a loyal follower who, incredibly, reads the crap I write.

44 comments:

  1. You have my permission to use as many dirty words as you want in my blog. Extra points for ones I've never heard before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now THAT is a challenge.
      Didn't English gorillas invent the language, after all?

      Delete
  2. If I were Joe Biden, I'd be relieved my name wasn't Joe Bidet. It's not a dirty word, but I'd still be relieved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shit, am I the only ape who's commenting on this post?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What the H E double hockey sticks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See? It's so easier to fall into the "Vulgar Hockey Sayings" trap, isn't it?

      Delete
  5. Blah to the fat pic, just wrong. True, sometimes we have to tone it down depending on which blog we are at, but pfffft anything and everything goes at the place of the cat. If some kind runs around saying the cat told me to piss up a rope, no one will believe them anyway lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, behind the snarkiness, I really realized that I must mind my manners when visiting. Kudos to those who have standards.
      Which must mean...that I have no standards.
      Oh well, it's a curse.

      Delete
  6. She is a wonderful blogger and so clever especially when she creates new words to go along with a famous song. I too got the "comment withdrawn" and felt horrible! I had written Kardashiass (cos that's what they are actually) and did not realize young folk read her blog. I try to be a good girl from now on which can be hard since I was raised on a sawmill and my dad was a true old time lumberman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and you understood that I still love ya and we remain dear friends! ♡

      Delete
    2. ...and you understood that I still love ya and we remain dear friends! ♡

      Delete
    3. I think Kardashiass is pretty darn funny, and I bet Cherdo does, too, but protecting young people is a priority for her.

      Delete
    4. Hi dear Cherdo-Of course:) I felt horrible that's why I remember.

      Delete
  7. Well, i think you handled that very well. Good for you for not becoming a troll after the comment was removed. I dont *usually* delete comments (and certainly not for a polite disagreement), but I occasionally will if something is just too full of nonsense. And i do it because of exactly what you wrote - my blog, my home, my rules. (The best is when people then yell about free speech - FREE SPEECH DOES NOT APPLY TO PRIVATE WEBSITES, JACKASSES.)

    Anyway, the starbucks red cup thing is beyond stupid, and now I definitely need to check out her post on it. I'll make sure to write a clean comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should. Cherdo's blog is very entertaining.

      Delete
    2. Gia, you'll love Cherdo. She's witty and entertaining.

      Delete
  8. I think that we cloose to follow people for a variety of reasons and you, Al, always struck me as a wild card of an imp AND I LOVE THAT. You've never said something that I've never heard - I'm not a prude and frequently lack the maturity i strive for (na na na na na).

    The fact that you allow me to be me is appreciated; you understand that I've kind of put a shorter leash on myself on the Flipside. I love snark but i try to frame that a way that does hurt people's feelings. With the words we choose, there is always the chance someone will be offended...

    The Flipside is my 3rd blog...I've learned that there are some things that come back to haunt me with the short people. Almost always related to crap in the commentsc that I don'tcontrol...but then I reluctantly grew up and realized I DID control it. I was the one who created a spot and let some really foul things go unchecked (not refering to you, Al my pal, but a previous blog that i deleted before i created the Flipside).

    It was kinda like "if you don't say no - you're okay with it."

    I figure I'll just be upfront about it and if someone really takes offense then they don't have to follow. It's a free country - yes, indeed! My whole Flipside philosophy is that I don't want to explain myself and I'm breaking my own rule, ha ha.

    I'm glad to have you around, Al. You're more mature than you let on...but still an ornery imp. That's a good thing.

    [The language deleted may have included a-hole references and a cheery "hey, d-head!", but how would one know? Someone deleted it. This might just be an ugly rumor.]

    ♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡Love ya, Al Penwasser♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

    ReplyDelete
  9. Agree with you on Starbucks.
    I don't think you've ever said anything offensive on my blog. I like to think it's a PG-13 area. I do give warning when posting a video with THAT word in it. Although really, sometimes that's the word that fits best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really am going to be more careful of what I write. I am kinda fond of "frik," though.

      Delete
  10. Al you know I've always loved ya but I love ya even more now for not being stupid about another bloggers wishes. I've recently started following Cherdo and I love her blog. The fact that you can both agree to honoring her house rules says a lot. I've know bloggers to go off over much less. Kudos to you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really felt like a boorish house guest. Especially since she is not being unreasonable.

      Delete
  11. Cherdo's post was excellent. She has students who read her blog, so she protects young eyes. At my blog, you can say pretty much anything you want. Insulting my dogs is at the top of my list of things you can't say.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As with many things, I am often clueless.
      I'm glad that I had this little life lesson.

      Delete
  12. Hey Alze Welze
    You can say anything you want on my blog. No one under 50 ever
    reads it. Come to think about it, I wonder if anyone over 50 reads it
    either. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do. And I'm 57. That's cool, right?

      Delete
    2. Al, I'll be 57 in February...

      Delete
    3. You're both babies. You haven't even begun to live.

      Delete
    4. I KNEW we were contemporaries.
      Manzi: I hope I have HALF your energy when (if) I get there. sadly, I don't think I have it now!

      Delete
  13. I gauge my comments on how the people blog. If they curse, then I know I can. If people leave something on my blog that I don't want on there, I delete it. I figure if they come back and see it's gone, they can always shoot me an email and ask why. I've only had to do it a time or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are wise in the ways of cyber-science.

      Delete
  14. yep - I go by the tone and the general discussion. Your place is a free for all and it's awesome, yet still rather tidy around the edges. I think it is wise to put the toe in the water before taking a full plunge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you wrote "free for all," the first image which came to my mind was monkeys flinging poo. After further reflection, I decided that...yeah, that pretty much covers it.

      Delete
    2. you totally understand my word choices. Yep - pretty much covers it (in a good way)

      Delete
  15. I say, Penwasser, I shall be 66 shortly and if I knew now what I knew at 57, I'd be more coherent. Your comments would be most welcome at my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What the hell did you say, Al? Does Cherdo realize that what we imagine you wrote is much more offensive than what you actually wrote? Inquiring minds wanna know. And I always thought red was a Christmas color, so how could it represent a war on Christmas in the first place. And I didn't see Gary Coleman here. Damn. Shit. For fuck's sake. Ooh, I went there. Only for you, Al. Only for you. With love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just got back from work so I'm going to bed. I'll respond more appropriately tomorrow, but I gotta tell you...you made me laugh out loud. Thank you!

      Delete
    2. I have just GOT to do a Gary Coleman Christmas bit. That really cracks me up. Gary...always in our hearts.
      I do hope the stupid Starbucks thing just goes away. Because...it IS stupid.

      Delete
  17. I think your the bee's knees Al. I'm glad she protects the innocent (it won't be long before the corruption sets in) for now. So don't you worry none, sit back and have a Starbucks anti-Christmas latte with a double shot of dick milk and an dingle-berry bagel and enjoy the weather...it's frightful I dare say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the weather outside may be frightful, but the fire...wait. I think that's been done already.

      Delete