Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Welcome to Fall!

    An equinox is an astronomical event in which the plane of the Earth's equator passes the center of the Sun.  Equinoxes occur twice a year.  The 2015 Autumnal Equinox will happen at 0421 on September 23rd.  The equinoxes are the only times when...OH, GOOD EFFIN' GRIEF!!!!!!
"CAN THIS GET ANY MORE BORING!!??"

    Okay, what this all means is that an equinox results in the same amount of daylight as darkness.  The big difference now is that, in the Northern Hemisphere, the hours of darkness will eventually increase while daylight will diminish.  This will continue until December's Winter Solstice when the Earth will have had just about enough of all "this GD darkness" and will begin to increase the amount of daylight.

   Seriously, this is about as much as I want to explain it.

    In essence....
September 23
0420
September 23
0421

    I can just hear you remarking, "Well, that doesn't make any sense, Al."

    Well...it's because it's frikkin' dark that's why!!

    So, let's just simulate the effect of the changing of the seasons, shall we?
September 23
0420

September 23
0421

    Okay, I think you get the picture.  Bottom line, though, gone are the carefree, balmy days of summer.  Soon enough, the harsh winds of winter will blow.  And that will blow.
"Betcher ass."
    On the other hand, we won't have to worry about this for a while.
Governor Christie at the Jersey Shore
    Meanwhile, in Australia...

"Crikey, time for me to head to the beach because I...HEY!
Why don't you take a picture??  It'll last longer, mate!"


Dress warmly, my friends.
Before you know it, there'll be a nip in the air.
"What do you think he meant by that crack??"

32 comments:

  1. Fall is my favorite time of year. Football, wings, beer, boots, sweaters, falling leaves...... Wait a damn minute, I moved to a beach town in southeastern NC. Now all I see all year long are Governor Christie types laying on the beach. Sometimes I really miss PA!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I won't miss the beached whales.
    Fall is my favorite. Cooler weather and football!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fall is my favorite, too. And October is my favorite month.
      My neighbors are grateful for cooler weather, too. I put my shirt back on.

      Delete
  3. lol the beach whale looks like something is about to burst from his stomach. I don't mind if the heat goes away, but darkness or light, woweee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't mind the cold, but I absolutely cannot stand shoveling snow.

      Delete
  4. Love that last one. Yes, there's a nip in the air here in Portland. Bye bye summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Part of me is genuinely sad.
      And not just because I'll be raking a LOT of leaves soon.
      Okay, it's mostly that.

      Delete
  5. Fall doesn't arrive in TX until maybe Thanksgiving this year? I think TX seceded from all weather rules. I am headed to PA to help my Pa so I am grateful for cooler air. I might even rake a leaf or two. And that nip in the air pic- groan, truly a groan for you Al.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're coming to Pa because of Pa?
      My...mind...is...blown.

      Delete
  6. I like Halloween. Other than that, I care not for fall. My husband loves fall. No, we don't rake leaves. We let them just blow into the fields.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I can get behind a holiday which features pillowcases full of Snickers.

      Delete
  7. You didn't say what happens if you live on the Equator. Does the fat guy on the beach gets fed to the sharks? I've heard they don't take crap on the Equator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweater weather turns me on... in a polite way, I say. :))

    ReplyDelete
  9. That last one made me laugh out loud:) Hilarious!! The big fat guy must be German..oh wait, nope he is not wearing a little spandex bikini bottom. I was also wondering what was happening at the beginning.....I am not one for science:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he ate a German, though.
      And his entire family.

      Delete
  10. I like Autumn. She's HOT! I also like Fall, which is what we call it here in the mitten state. Ummmm...Autumn....Miss Michigan...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never know whether to capitalize fall. Or Fall.

      Delete
  11. Thank you! I feel entertained and strangely edified after this post! It contained everything, including solid science, semi nude pics of Chris Christie, pictures for those too disinterested to read, and gratuitous racism!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not gonna lie... loving the weather right now.

    Check back with me in February when we are in an endless weather streak of suck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it's coming,
      Remember how last year you were concerned Tony might not get to use his snowblower?
      I predict he'll "not use it" just as much this year.

      Delete
  13. Never mind boring, Al, I found your tutorial about equinox riveting, and I clung to every word. But then again, I'm (what we call in the UK) an anorak!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't know what's funnier. Christie on the beach in NJ or the Nip in the air. I'm still laughing...all the way to the pool because it's still summer where I am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And now, as the weather gets progressively lousier up here, you can reassume the Florida Gloat Pump.

      Delete