Saturday, January 10, 2015

This I Believe

1983
He has less hair now.
I still have the corduroy suit.
Hey, you never know.
    By the time you read this, I'll be on my way to Stratford, Connecticut, to visit some old friends (by the way, have I told you how I feel about 'Delay Post'?  FAHBULOUS!).

    We'll be meeting at an old place called the "Windmill."  It's a divey little joint, but we used to patronize it quite a bit in our younger days.  

    Go ahead and Google it, if you wish.  I relish the nostalgia and what I think is great food.  Mrs. Penwasser just calls it the place where I get bad hot dogs.
They've jazzed the joint up, though.
For instance, that deer's ass no longer hangs over the bar.
And they've removed the troughs from the Mens' Room.
I think the one in the Ladies' Room is still there.
What can I say?
They cater to a tough crowd.

    Still, I'm really looking forward to it.

    Why?  Well, because I'll get a chance to see old friends again.  Trust me, it won't be long before we're all wearing pajamas, eating soft foods, and talking to squirrels every day (and not just on weekends.  Like me).  I haven't seen two of them in forty-three years!

    One, though, I see on a fairly regular basis.  And that is the point of this drawn-out post.  Rather than name him by name, I'll just call him "Spags."  Heck, I may as well, because he's the inspiration behind the character of Tommy Spagnoula in Shag Carpet Toilet.


Now on sale on Amazon!
You may have heard this once or twice.
Spags is also in this one, as well.
Although not as much.
But, there's a lot of dirty words in it.
"PENWASSER!"
     
For My European Friends:
Phil Donahue was an ultra-liberal.
But, he was married to Marlo Thomas.
Who was pretty hot.
Back in the day.
    You see, Spags and I could hardly be farther apart, politically.  He makesPhil Donahue look like George  Patton.  Whereas I make George Patton look like...well...George Patton.  We even debated the Nixon-McGovern campaign at Summer Camp.  Yeah, imagine that summer camp!

    With the exception of my brothers and sister, there is nobody on this planet whom I've known longer (to which most people comment, "Oh, that poor bastard.").

    Anyway, despite all this, I love the guy like a brother and am proud to call him my best friend.  Whenever we meet, we just don't discuss anything remotely political or, if we do, it's usually a joke of some kind (most of you are probably thinking, "Well, that's not a surprise!).

    So, it made me somewhat sad when Dawn from the entertaining Lighten Up! blog expressed some reticence about expressing what she called a "minority opinion" in response to my latest "Captain Caption."

    Pshaw, I said!  All opinions are welcome.  I have no doubt that a lot of you do not share my outlook on life (as a bonus, most of you have a grasp on sanity, as well).  That is perfectly okay.  But, I am willing to bet you that, like Spags and I, we have MUCH MORE in common.

    Never worry about being yourself with me.  I am a conservative.  This is true.  I make no apologies about it.  But, I'm not a zealot who thinks anyone who disagrees with me is a fool.  That, to use a tired cliche, is not how I roll.  If I comment on your blog or otherwise engage with you, I consider you my friend, cyber or otherwise.

  If you leave because of an offense you've taken, that will genuinely make me sad.

  After all, some of my best friends are liberals.

  In fact, I'm looking forward to having a chili dog and a beer with one of them.
Marlo Thomas.
See?
She was pretty hot.
Back in the day.
Nowadays?
Not so much.
But, she still looks better than Phil.
Who's dead.


21 comments:

  1. Good times with old friends. Add in beer and a deer's ass and I can see how you're drawn in like a moth to a flame. I mean who couldn't resist that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a grand time will be had indeed, not sure my ocd could handle a trough haha ewww.

    No matter what one writes they will always offend someone out there, if people get that easily offended though, oh well I say. A stick in the mud will always be stuck. People just need to loosen up and know there are other opinions than there own, plus being a little insane helps to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great time. I always enjoy visiting "Spags."

      Delete
  3. I think Marlo might have had a nomination a few Time Machine Beauty Contests ago (but not this years, posted yesterday.) Drink one for me, one of the two of ya.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to recall that. She really was quite attractive.

      Delete
  4. Have a great time. Love old places like that, such charm and sometimes, darn good eats.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For the 20 years I lived in CT and called it my home, we didn't consider Stratford part of CT. So if that's the case where shall you say you really are? Twilight Zone? Outer Limits? Part of Tri-State area which includes Jersey? Nooooo come back Al. Don't leave us Al. lol

    Good post. I hope you are enjoying the heck out of those bad hot dogs and beers with your long time friends. And as for anyone who doesn't agree with Captain Caption...#&*$% 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you're wrong about Phil being dead. If he is, I'm sure that's news to him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was about to say this, the only thing I could find is that his son had passed away last year.

      Delete
    2. You're right. My bust. I know he'll be relieved. Wonder why I thought that?

      Delete
    3. Is he still married to Marlo? I hope so because she was hot.

      Delete
    4. I just checked. Looks like he is. Well, good for him!

      Delete
  7. Enjoy your reunion, Al. I, too, meet up every 10 years with two old college mates - we last met six years ago (when we were 50) and are due to meet in four years for our 60s reunion.
    And as for troughs in the Ladies Room? Now that paints some vivid pictures in my head. On a similar note, I've witnessed 'ladies' enter the gents' toilet and squat over the urinal (because the queue at the ladies was too long!) Classy women!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I vote for whichever candidate is sexiest.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have fun with Tommy! I'll bet that corduroy suit still fits. It's hard to sneak up on someone with corduroys...swish, swish, swish!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So THAT'S why people always ran away from me.

      Delete