Saturday, January 17, 2015

Mr. Owl






  Wow.  Two 'Captain Captions' in a row have inspired further explanation.  Although, this time, it has nothing to do with Barack Obama.
"Hey, did you hear, Joe?
It has nothing to do with us this time.
That's a relief."
  When I displayed a picture of Mr. Owl, with a statement that it takes three licks to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Pop, Michael from the highly entertaining A Life Examined asked "Really?"  I assume that he was clowning around (read his blog-you'll see why I would think he was kidding.  He's an Australian version of me.  Only younger.  And talented.  And better looking.  Okay, nothing like me).

  On the other hand, maybe he was serious, like Eddie from National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.  After all, the Mr. Owl commercial was from the 70s which, I assume, was before Michael was born.  So, I think he can be excused for not not knowing.  After all, I don't have a real clear recollection of Speedy Alka-Seltzer and Burma Shave commercials. 
"Kids, I hear that Santa and his sleigh have been picked up by NORAD."
"Really, Clark?"
  So, just in case some of you didn't get the joke, here's the commercial from a long time ago when I didn't have hair on my...well, you never mind about that.

  When you're done, may I suggest you visit Michael?  Like I said, he's Australian and it's summer down there.  For those of you in the United States (and Lansing, Michigan) shivering in the cold, some summer talk may help.  You can tell him Al sent you.  So he knows who to blame.
"Plus, it's so bloody hot a bloke has to doff his shorts
to relieve pressure on the undercarriage.
If you know what I mean."

31 comments:

  1. Sadly, I'm old enough to remember that commercial. Damn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I often watched commercials and ignored the shows.

      Delete
  2. Okay, so I've never seen that commercial. We don't even have Tootsie Pops in Australia. But I'm glad I've got this reputation where I can ask an ignorant question and people think "Haha! There's Michael up to his old tricks!"

    The best thing we've got in confectionery is an ice cream called Bubble-o Bill. It was in America for a while, but Australia took it and claimed it as its own, which is something America's probably not used to.

    Thanks for the kind words, however true they may be ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ignorance is never a problem. For instance, I was ignorant of Bubble O Bill until today. In other words, this looks like a job for Google!

      Delete
  3. Hey, it's a heat wave up here! I was shoveling snow in my shorts and knee high boots today. (Now go gouge your mind's eyes out)
    I can be a redneck iffin I wanna.

    Ahhh...the 70's. I remember those years-all six of them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hadn't remembered that commercial, but now it seems strangely familiar. Those things used to cost two cents but now I've seen them for fifty cents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I even know who provided the voice for Mr. Owl.
      Yep, my mind is cluttered with nonsense.

      Delete
  5. I saw the commercial on youtube a while back, that is the only way I knew what it was. But hey, the explanations give you new posts haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lack of Tootsie Roll Pop commercials proves that Canadians are sophisticated.
      Well, there's that whole Celine Dion thing, though.
      Don't feel too badly, though. We have Madonna and Cher.

      Delete
  6. How does nobody remember this but me? They used to play over and over again, even in the 90s

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some remember and post about it.
      As my brother once said, "There's a whole lotta useless pieces of crap floating around in your head, aren't there?"

      Delete
  7. Every once in a while it still gets shown here. Which seems really weird, but whatever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much better than those commercials for Catheter Sample Kits.

      Delete
  8. It takes 184 licks. Well, at least when I was a kid it did. Now a days, who the hell knows... everyone's messing with their packaging, giving less candy in smaller packaging for more money.

    Bastards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was more of a sucker than a licker.
      Oh...my.
      Can't believe I wrote that.

      Delete
  9. It's rough being old enough to know these important facts. Sadly, I will never, ever, in this lifetime, know the exact number… I can not be faulted for not trying. I've tried a billion times to no avail.

    I can say this much, with certainty, Mr Owl is right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't even last three.
      Thus another symbol of my life.

      Delete
  10. Michael is a lot of fun, and he's very loyal! I guess he could be your kinder, gentler "Mini-me!" I used to like Tootsie Pop Drops. They're more like Lifesavers, but with the chocolate in the middle. Mr. Owl would only need one lick per drop.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Owl's feet fit a limb and he poops through feathers, so you probably can't be too confident in what he says.

      Delete
  11. I'm too young....NOT! I hated that commercial but loved my chocolate tootsie roll pops. Couldn't be bothered licking it. Just stuck it on my cheek and chewed that sucker until the stick dissolved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had forgotten about Mr. Turtle.
      Mr. Turtle was a real dumbass.

      Delete
  12. I remember that commercial. I always bit into my tootsie pop.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the grape ones.
      And after I was done, I mangled the stick to get the very last of the grapey/chocolatey goodness.

      Delete
  13. Every old thing you mention is familiar to me, unfortunately. Remember when we used to draw bison on cave walls??

    Michael is a gem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old? When they did a colonoscopy on me, they found caveman drawings.
      And Jimmy Hoffa.
      But that's another story altogether.

      Delete
  14. Awe I remember that commercial, are you sure it's from the 70's? I'm sure they've played it more recently than that. :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It first appeared in the 70s during Saturday morning cartoons.
      Unlike me. Who first appeared in the 50s.

      Delete
  15. That TV commercial was a bad example to the youth of American. The owl cheated and the boy was too lazy to lick it himself. Now I understand why Dr Ruth became so popular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially since Dr. Ruth would encourage kids to lick it themselves.

      Delete