Monday, August 4, 2014

Today's Nerd Moment

  If any of you haven't seen Dawn of the Planet of the Apes,  I very much recommend it.  Ending pretty much as you'd expect, I really don't think I'm giving anything away.  Let's put it this way...the title pretty much nails it.


Okay, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes can boast superior makeup.
But, it doesn't have anything remotely like this.
  Having grown up with the original Apes movies, I must say that this movie is a worthy successor to the franchise.  Especially since, while the original Planet was quite good, the followers were dreadful schlock (except, sort of, Beneath the Planet of the Apes, which was still a tad silly).  

  As far as the Planet of the Apes television series?  Yet another reason why I would just like to forget the 70's.


And this shirt.
And the glasses.
And, good grief, the sideburns.
  Now, before you young pups go and lambaste my generation by bringing such pabulum to the big screen, may I remind you of the craptastic Planet of the Apes with Marky Mark and Paul Giamotti?
"Yeah, I'm in makeup so folks
may not really know who I am.
But, Mark, you?
Yeah, you're screwed."

  Yeah, that's what I thought.

  Anyway, as the title of the post suggests, this is a nerd moment.  In the new movie, the cerebral orangutan who teaches his students, among other things that "ape does not kill ape" (show of hands for those who've seen the movie?  How many think that was a bit of ironic foreshadowing?).  

  His name is Maurice.
"Yeah, I'm much more realistic
than that poser in those other movies.
Except I can't speak as much, so there's that.
But, apes don't speak anyways.
Dumbass."

  In the original Planet of the Apes, the orangutans are the learned simians.  They are the teachers, philosophers,   and lawyers (wait, I said learned, didn't I?  Crap).  Anyway, the head orangutan is called Dr. Zaius.  He is played by the noted British actor (who apparently fell on hard times), Maurice Evans.
 
"Oh, yeah?  Well, up yours, punk!
I'm a well-known British actor.
Who's dressed as a...oh, well, never mind."
I wonder how many other nerds out there caught it?


Or was it just a coincidence?

I think not.

And you wonder why I was always beat up in school?
   


NOTE:  Maurice Evans also played a warlock on Bewitched named..."Maurice."
Geez, I hope the writers didn't hurt themselves coming up with that name.
On the bright side, he's now dead.

30 comments:

  1. It was an awesome movie for sure. I saw it in the theater a couple weeks ago. I love this new Apes franchise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today's Bit of Misogyny: I'm just waiting until the human females start running around in little more than rags. And they don't talk.

      Delete
  2. The two new movies are awesome. Yes, much better than the sequels to the original. Unfortunately I missed the Maurice thing. Epic Ninja Fail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wonder if the writers knew that. They must have. It's not like Maurice (which some people pronounce as "Morris") is a common name.
      Everything after the original was dreadful. Except these last two. I kinda like them.

      Delete
  3. You look like a young Bill Gates. I haven't seen the new Apes movie. To be honest with you I'm not entirely sure I'll ever see an Apes movie. I know how it turns out and I've lost a lot of interest in watching it. It's the same reason I've not watched Sixth Sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Bruce Willis is dead!
      Crap, now I've ruined it for myself.

      Delete
  4. The best Planet Of The Apes-related thing is the musical version on The Simpsons. "I hate every ape I see from chim-pan-A to chim-pan-Z"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I have got to look for that. It sounds hysterical.

      Delete
  5. The new movies are awesome, let's forget the remake and the crummy sequels before that. Never even knew there was a tv show, or I put it out of my mind forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The TV was an absolute horror. If I recall, Roddy McDowell was in it. He's probably glad he's dead. I'm sure he'd be afraid to stumble across one of the episodes on the Sci-Fi channel.

      Delete
  6. I never got into the series, though I have heard some opinions from friends. I had two people I know said they hated the new movie but they said liked the last one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The series was awful!
      I liked both new movies equally.

      Delete
  7. Holy Hannah!! I did not know Dr. Zaius was Maurice on Bewitched!

    That's it. The day just can't get any better.

    Good night everyone!

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, me either! The first part of the series I thought was pretty good.

      Delete
    2. And who says you can't learn anything on the Internet?
      Although Chris' series on WWI was much more intelligent.

      Delete
  8. I read somewhere that Dr. Zaius was originally to have been played by Edward G. Robinson but at his age the make-p was too much for him. But he was in the pitch to the studios.

    I've seen the latest version and I thought it was an excellent addition to the franchise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Imagine that! I liked Edward G. In 'Soylent Green,' another Charlton Heston movie.
      It was people, you know.

      Delete
  9. The original Planet of the Apes scared me because their mannerisms are so human. Come to think of it, that's an insult to the kingdom of apes.

    I hope you won at midlife, and I just posted your paperback book cover instead of the toilet. I hope you don't mind. Men use the woods for toilets anyway, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Except, on Friday night, a family set up their camp RIGHT NEXT TO OURS and they placed their camp chairs facing that section of the woods where we shook hands with ourselves. We had to wait until the sun went down. Until then, we were required to use the "Crap Boxes" (aka "Port-A-Potties"). Ick...I feel sorry for you ladies. You have to have sex with men and you have to use those ghastly porta poopers.

      Delete
  10. I'm glad you mentioned Dr Zaius, because he was as un-apish as they come. A pontificating hanging judge who couldn't piss on a tree let alone climb one.

    The girl was called Nova, I think, and she was mute too. Have you discussed your fondness for mute females with Mrs Penwasser?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She WAS called Nova.
      And I wish Mrs. Penwasser would walk around in skimpy rags.
      And shut u...let's stick with rags. Safer that way.

      Delete
  11. I keep waiting for a scene where the humans start throwing their feces. Now that would pure irony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Talk about tailor made for Smell-O-Rama!

      Delete
  12. Wow, that is some shirt, Penwusser. Lovely feel of polyester. Did you wear it to the disco? I saw the first Planet of the Apes movie, but none of the others. I thought it was freaky, and I never liked Charlton Heston. An apes movie with Marky Mark and Paul Giamatti? Now, that's scary.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe it or not, I did wear it to discos. Oh...my. The 70's. Oh...my.

      Delete
  13. I remember watching Planet of the Apes tv show and I really liked Bewitched just saying and that is all I have for today

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bewitched never bothered me. It was silly, but I think that's what the writers were after. Plus, the two Darren Stephens were played by actors named 'Dick.'

      Delete
    2. Dick van Dyke should have got the part.

      Delete