Monday, February 10, 2014

Imitation is the Sincerest Form Of...

I got nothin' else.

Also starring Kevin Costner.
Who's trying to live down Waterworld
    One of the latest films to come out this depressing winter season is Jack Ryan:  Shadow Recruit (not to be confused with Richard Simmons:  Shadow Recruit).  A "reworking" of Tom Clancy's action hero, Jack Ryan (I'm guessing you got that from the title), this thriller has done pretty well at the box office, even though it has yet to recoup its $60 million production cost.  I haven't seen it (gotta catch The Lego Movie first, you know), but I plan to when I can sell a kidney to buy a ticket.

Al's Fun Fact:  Did you know that "Lego" is derived from the Danish "leg godt" which means "play well?"  Yeah.  I didn't care, either.

    But, even though I look forward to seeing it and know that I will
"I...would...rather...eat..pie.
Priceline."
enjoy it, I reflect upon how many times that Hollywood has rehashed the same characters over and over again.  Most times, I admit, they had to do it because the original actors have just gotten too old to play their original characters.  For instance, be honest, wouldn't William Shatner look ridiculous on the bridge of the USS Enterprise?  So, I'm really comfortable with Chris Pine in that role.  It makes more sense and I really like how they've taken the Star Trek franchise into a new direction.


Some are too old.
And some...are too dead.
    And, I don't think Sean Connery would be very convincing as James Bond nowadays, unless 007 meant "License to Nap."  Daniel Craig is an outstanding choice and is better than Dalton, Brosnan, or Lazenby.  And is worlds away better than Roger Moore.  Yecch.

    Even when the original characters aren't too old, often the new
I hope he can handle the truth.
He looks pretty pissed.
twist on a character is a pleasant change.  For instance, while I liked Michael Keaton as Batman, Val Kilmer and George Clooney were hideous.  What's more, I much preferred Heath Ledger as the Joker over Jack Nicholson.  So, the Dark Knight trilogy was fantastic to me.


Still, it beat the snot out of Superman IV.
PU.
    But, sometimes, a remake can be worse than its predecessor.  Or did you really like Superman Returns over Superman (or even Superman II)?

    


    All in all, though, I've liked how they've handled Clancy's Jack
"There, there, I think Affleck
will make a good Batman."
Ryan.  Each of the actors chosen to portray him have been up to the job.  I even didn't mind Ben Affleck when he took the role (NOTE:  Affleck will be playing Batman in Batman and Superman.  Uh, oh).  I actually thought that Alec Baldwin did a good job.  This was before he lost his mind, of course.


    So, Chris Pine seems to me to be a good choice to play Ryan.

    As long as he remembers he's needed on the bridge before the next Star Trek movie comes out. 

"Captain, it is illogical that Clooney would play Batman."



      

34 comments:

  1. Funny Stuff!
    I don't think they've ever made a good Superman movie period. Same thing with Batman. I loved Heath Ledger as the Joker, but that's about all I've ever liked about those movies. I'd rather watch Waterworld and that also sucked. Old or new, young or old, to me, none of this group were very good. I really not grumpy today...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Superman I and II were good (although that love thing with Lois was soooo silly). I also really liked the Batman reboot. Heath? Couldn't believe how good a job he did. Which holds out hope for Affleck.

      Delete
  2. I'm not a major fan of rehashes, but I do be a hypocrite and make exceptions. Superhero movies are one of them. Especially when it's a character I love who I'm happy to see come back. I'd actually welcome an X-Men reboot, as long as Hugh Jackman plays Wolverine. He IS Wolverine after all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. But, if they keep making X-Men for a long time (as I hope they will) Hugh will probably need to step down eventually. And then some wiseguy will blog about his replacement.

      Delete
  3. Heath Ledger was much better. Jack Nicholson was Jack Nicholson playing The Joker. Heath Ledger WAS The Joker. I miss sexy beautiful good actor Heath.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the BEST description of who played the better Joker that I have ever heard. While I don't mourn Hollywood celebrities as a rule, they lost one of their most gifted, for sure.

      Delete
  4. Keaton was still the best on screen batman, too bad they didn't go with him for the older batman instead of Affleck. Hate remakes a ton. But different stories with characters like Bond and Ryan are fine, but when you go all Total Recall and rehash the same crap with different actors or spiderman and rehash the god forsaken origin story for the bazillionth time, that just is nothing but a turd that needs to be flushed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the very same thing about Keaton. I think that would have been something. Also, funny you mentioned Spiderman. I had a couple paragraphs talking about how, after only a few movies, they're retelling the WHOLE THING all over again. But, I had to take it out due to space (the final frontier). And, speaking of turds...shine it and shine it. Still a turd. And your fingers smell.

      Delete
  5. Not a fan of Daniel Craig. I don't care what role.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't mind him. I actually didn't have a big problem with Dalton either, to be honest. But Sean Connery will always be James Bond to me.

      Delete
  6. The problem with Superman III and IV is that they totally didn't take anything from the comics. Even in the 80s, Superman had countless villains and story-lines they could have been inspired by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, that's a very good point. What did you think of the Man of Steel? I liked it, although I think the Jor-El aspect of it was a little silly.

      Delete
  7. I heard good things about the Lego Movie, and honestly it sounds better than most out there so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have, too (which is why I'd like to see it). I've also heard that it's just a huge cartoon for Legos. But, I really don't care about that. If it makes me laugh...meh.

      Delete
  8. Affleck just seems like an over-aged, personality-less frat boy to me. So I suppose it's only logical that he should play a superhero.

    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat made a really good observation about Keaton playing Batman in the new movie.
      While I don't have a big problem with Affleck, per se, he was a suck-ass Daredevil.

      Delete
  9. I agree with your comments about James Bond; I've never made much of Roger Moore's attempts at acting - surely, there's more to the craft than raising one eyebrow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roger Moore made me want to vomit. Plus, I don't think he was helped all that much by the scriptwriters. It was a very silly period for Bond films.

      Delete
  10. The latest Jack Ryan film was pretty good. Pine fit the role well. Baldwin had done a great job with the first one as well.
    And no, I don't want to see Shatner on the bridge...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I suspected. I like Chris Pine, although he may be typecast now. For instance, when I saw him on an old CSI: Miami this weekend:
      "Hey, look! There's Captain Kirk! No, the new Captain Kirk!"
      Then again, Shatner overcame that.
      Well, not really.
      He got fat, though.

      Delete
  11. Agreed. Although Leonard Nimoy was the first man I had a crush on, the casting for the newer movies was fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was frankly AMAZED at how well they did with recasting. Perfect (the weakest was Uhura. But, even then).
      You know, a problem I DID have with the recasting...Cumberbatch as Khan. While his character was a fantastic villain, I couldn't get over the incongruity of why an Englishman was called Khan. To me, Khan is Ricardo Montalban. Or, at the very least..."Khan" is not an English name. I think they were just trying too hard to help [older] audiences identify with the a popular character while being politically correct (i.e., a bad guy can't POSSIBLY be a little brown man). Course, I have a tendency to overthink.

      Delete
    2. Darn! Can't believe I let one slip...
      Re: your infatuation on Leonard Nimoy...
      Fascinating.

      Delete
  12. Just saying "Howdy" because I can't comment on these movies. So.... Howdy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a guilty pleasure I have.
      Howdy back atcha.

      Delete
  13. The Dark Knight trilogy was amazing indeed. I am planning on seeing Shadow Recruit this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was intrigued by the entry of Robin. That said, I hope they don't go anywhere with it. Better to end when you're on top than look silly with sequels (i.e., Godfather III).

      Delete
  14. My son is going to see Shadow Recruit. We must remember that it was Canadians who sorted out the universe. No, not Justin Bieber, but William Shatner in Star Trek and Lorne Greene in Battlestar Galactica. Eh.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But, Patrick Stewart isn't Canadian, though, thank goodness.
      Can you imagine, "Warp Five. Engage, eh?"

      Delete
  15. I have not seen a movie in so long I will leave no comment about them since I know nothing about them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't see a lot of movies. I usually wait until my son comes home from college before I see one. Mrs. Penwasser doesn't like to spend a fortune going to the movies (she's got a good point, considering most of the Hollywood dreck out there).

      Delete
  16. I didn't think I'd like Chris Pine as Captain Kirk, but, IMHO, he did a great job. I don't really care about Jack Ryan or his movie. But, Pine sure is one handsome fella!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was all grumpy about the remake, but they did a great job.

      Delete
  17. I didn't or will not watch any of the Jack Ryans. Too hung up on Mission Impossible 67. Weird how they all end up possible.

    ReplyDelete