Sunday, December 15, 2013

The Friendliest Person I'll Never Meet

NOTE:  This could probably be the last bit of original writing I do in 2013.  So, enjoy it (?) while you can.  Something original will be posting next weekend, but I wrote it last week and put it on Delayed Post.  The guys at the Geek Squad showed me how to do that.

    I haven't done this in awhile, but in the spirit of the season (hey, it could be Kwanzaa, you don't know), I'd like to take this opportunity to not write anything new reintroduce you to a blogger who (or is that whom?) I first "met" over a year ago.

    Leslie Moon first caught my attention as writer of
"If you'll look behind me, you'll see moons.
Billions and billions and bi...aw, what the frik am I saying?
I'm dead."
 Four Moons.  As first, I thought she was channeling her inner Carl Sagan and penning her very own journal of Astronomy.  Then, I wondered if she instead was describing what a few members of the football team did out of the bus windows on the way to the big game.  


    Then, I realized that 1)  Her last name is 'Moon'  2)  She is married to a man whose last name is 'Moon' and 3) She has two children whose last names are 'Moon.'  That makes four moons.

    Ooooohhhhhhhhh.  
Well, shut my mouth and call me the product of public school education.

Screw you, Carl Sagan.

Three more like these and
you got the Little Rock State House.



   But, since she lives in Arkansas, I'll bet her outdoor privy has a crescent moon carved in the door.  And, if she has three more just like it, well, wouldn't that be ironic?





    Anyway, Four Moons proved to be a delightful blog written by a talented woman who obviously loved her family and her home.  But, since that home is in Arkansas, maybe she hasn't gotten out much.  But, hey, who am I to judge?  I grew up next to Bridgeport, Connecticut.
Bridgeport's a lot like Camden, New Jersey.
Without the charm.
    I enjoyed visiting her place and reading stories about normal people living normal lives.  This was refreshing for me.  Which I think would be obvious because...well, you have seen that picture up top with me on a toilet, haven't you?


    Sadly, Leslie dropped off the blogosphere and, quite frankly, I forgot about her (NOTE:  a lot like what happened to Dan
"Hmmm, not knowing how to spell 'potato'...
or Joe Biden as Vice-President.
Jump ball."
Quayle).


    But, a few weeks ago, she reappeared (like Robert Downey Jr.'s career).  Now writing Skip the Sugar, Leslie is still the author I enjoyed reading all those months ago when you could keep your health care plan.

    A few things have changed, of course.  Well, only one, as far as I can tell so far.  Leslie is now a stay-at-home mom who helps her husband in his business.  But, she's still a Moon and she still has kids and, I don't know why, she still lives in Arkansas.  And maybe has indoor plumbing.

    Anyway, she only has four followers (and one of them is me.  So......).  I encourage you to not skip Skip the Sugar (see what I did there?  Yeah, I've been doing this blogging thing for over four years.  I'm a wizard with words now, lack of Blog of Note notwithstanding).

    Like me, it's a short one which quite often includes pictures of her adorable (oh, wait, I don't think guys can say 'adorable.'  I meant 'precious.') kids.  So, go ahead and pay a visit to the Blog Formerly Known as Four Moons.  Tell Leslie that Al sent you so she knows who to blame.

    Or should be that be whom?  Yeah, and I'm making fun of someone!

    While you're doing that, I'm gonna look up Arkansas on Wikipedia.  Leslie may know something I don't.

Hey, it's no Camden, but...

    That's probably a certainty.
   
  

32 comments:

  1. Al, Aren't you the ole sweetie softie. I peeked in and she is very "nice". I used to be very nice. Now I'm old and cranky and honest.
    Enjoy your Sunday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that happened to me actually. Now, the dog and I just sit on the front porch and bark at the neighbor kids.

      Delete
  2. Leslie has been commenting on my blog recently, but I didn't get the memo that she started a new page. Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw it.

      Delete
  3. Was Dan Quayle forgotten or ignored on purpose? It always seems like a lot of Vice Presidents are rather wacky (though usually not in a political way) members of a party who take the job to "retire" after their term(s) are up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't it John Adams who said the vice-presidency was like a warm bucket of spit? Maybe it wasn't him. In any event, I think most VPs are forgotten men unless they become the president. A lot like the losers of the Super Bowl or World Series.
      Or spit.

      Delete
  4. Look at you being all nice at your zoo. Moon's abound, i so hope 4 of those outhouse moons aren't around. But it is Arkansas, so who knows lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The location of Arkansas...?
      Next to Tennesee, I know where.
      I once visited...
      Nope, not a lot there.

      Delete
  5. I shall check her out... her blog that is... not her moon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read your comment on her blog. Spot on about mail carriers.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the info - I'll go take a peep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't hurt. Her latest post is "Bah Humbug."

      Delete
  7. I think I've only ever seen one person come back. It was a pretty sweet feeling though to see those great people again. Anyone with Moon as a last name is bound to be a badass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I'd tread lightly. The only reason I felt okay about picking on Arkansas is that they're in another time zone.

      Delete
  8. Just signed up to follow Leslie's blog. Thanks for pointing it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leslie is a welcome breath of sane, fresh air after visiting this place.

      Delete
  9. I never thought I would utter these words butttt, Thanks for pimping me out to all your friends! It's really thoughtful of you! We actually do have indoor plumbing, though my husbands grandpa used his outhouse until he passed away about a year ago because he thought it was weird that someone would poop inside the house! He too had indoor plumbing. I have to admit, Arkansas is an easy target but I'm proud to say we all have teeth and wear shoes in the Moon house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as you use the bathroom, it's probably okay to poop inside the house. And you're welcome. I just hope I can count on you if I need bail.

      Delete
  10. Well I am still young so I have plenty of time to become old and cranky :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just happy that Iived to become old.

      Delete
  11. Hello there Mr P !
    I might go and check that out, but not yet, first I need to spend about a month catching up with what I've missed here and other places.
    Hope all's good with you :)X

    ps my best friends last name is Moon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome back! As you'll probably notice, not a whole lot has changed. You've returned just in time for Christmas reposts!

      Delete
  12. I'm glad to say I too am following this lovely lady already but it is awful nice what you did. I won't tell anyone!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for telling us about your friend Leslie. She must have a great sense of humor, so I look forward to visiting her. Oh, and you're right that "precious" definitely sounds more masculine than "adorable!"

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whew! I don't want to have to surrender my Guy Card.

      Delete
  14. Well it is never late to be introduced to her. Thank you Mr Penwasser for introducing me to Leslie Moon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, that Carl Sagan "quote" still has me laughing!

    And I think I found the perfect last name for me if I ever have to go into the witness protection program! Maybe give my self a fake phd too! I'd be Dr Moon!

    Great post as always!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey I'm funny well in my head I am funny and in my dreams I am funny just not so much in real life but a girl can pretend can't she.............if not too bad I am going to pretend I am funny and everyone laughs at my jokes not that I make jokes maybe that is the problem..............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's better than funny "looking."

      Delete
  17. Replies
    1. I liked 'Cosmos.' He really was an impressive dude.

      Delete
  18. I'll be sure to check her out. I'm talking about her blog...

    ReplyDelete