Saturday, December 21, 2013

Spring's Coming!

December 21, 2013
12:10 PM
December 21, 2013
12:11 PM

  Despite the fact that it's probably as cold as a witch's teat where you are, be of good cheer!  Not only is it five days until Kwanzaa, the Earth is starting to tilt back toward the sun.  Huzzah!  The days are beginning to grow longer!
I don't know.
I may want to check just to be sure.
    NOTE:  For those of you who received a public school education, each day will still be 24 hours long.  I'm actually speaking of hours of daylight.

    Oh sure, we still have a long way to go until warmer days arrive (to say nothing of the entire season of winter), but arrive they eventually will.   Not before the seasonal ringing in of drunks on New Years, Super Bowl, St. Patrick's Day, and Mardi Gras, but they will get here.

    NOTE:  I realize that this is the complete opposite for my friends down under.  Sorry about that, but you're living the life right now with your shorts, beach parties, heat exhaustion, and Crocodile Dundee. Sorry, he's the only Australian I could think of.  Should I have said Olivia Newton-John?
"Tell me about it, stud."

    By the time you read this, Winter has already started.  Or, to we nerds, the "Winter Solstice" which marks the break of seasons.

    Wikipedia defines Winter Solstice as the "Solstice which occurs in winter."

    Uh...thanks for all your hard work, Wiki, you're the greatest!  
"You betcha!"
Now get on that biography of Sarah Palin, why dontcha?


    As a public service announcement seeking to further your education of all things astronomical (after all, doesn't everyone come to Penwasser Place to learn?), the Winter Solstice is that time at which the suns appears at noon at its lowest altitude above the horizon.

    Everyone clear now?

"No, seriously, that crazy Borgia chick has her top off!
Oh...yeah...and it's winter."
    I still have to wonder what kind of a crappy job you have to have to measure the sun.
  

34 comments:

  1. Thanks for the lesson. But didn't winter officially arrive just a day or so ago?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, today's the day. Along with record warm temps.

      Delete
  2. Yes, first day of winter, and this weekend will set heat records for the season across our state. It feels so Christmassy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's enough to make your jingle balls sweat.

      Delete
  3. Do they make tape measures that big (to measure the sun)?
    Cheers, Al.
    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe in Texas. Cuz everything's bigger in Texas. Or so they say.

      Delete
  4. I hear they have lasers that can measure that stuff now. We have rainfall warnings, oh well lol I'll take that. You forgot groundhog day

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lasers that they can put on the heads of sharks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll actually be a little sad to see the nights getting shorter. It's fun to see the sun go down at about 3 in the afternoon, or earlier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as it eventually comes back up, I'm good.

      Delete
  7. My education was achieved in NJ. I was taught solstice was what you made and put on your sore muscles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Close. You put "solestice" on sore feet.

      Delete
  8. makes you wonder how accurate measurements for stars and planets are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And, with Carl Sagan gone, who knows WHO you can trust?

      Delete
  9. It's downright chilly here! I think it got all the way down to 64 F, here today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually was 70 today. Sheesh, and we had snow last week,

      Delete
  10. Living in the UK it seems continually winter. Thanks for the wisdom - I've always regarded you as a fountain of knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I lived in Iceland, a 50 degree day in the summer was cause for shorts. They're made of sterner stuff there.

      Delete
  11. Yup.. Favorite time of the year... 2 more minutes a day, 14 a week. :) I still can't believe that I was delivering Christmas packages yesterday in only a sweat shirt though... well, pants too. I'm not THAT kind of mail lady. Incidentally, I did respond to your question at my place. Hope it helps. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did help. Thanks. And Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  12. Your post gives me hope of the warmer days to come.

    Winter can suck it.

    Hugs!

    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Before you know it, we'll be bitching about the heat. It's the circle of life, I suppose.

      Delete
  13. Judging by the pictures at the top, you must live in Ohio.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should be so lucky. I live in the state of denial.

      Delete
  14. Strange weather, isn't it? It isn't all that unusual for it to be this warm in Georgia this time of year, but now you guys in the NE are getting in on the spring-like action, too. In between snow storms, that is.

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went to the Eagles game this evening so I'm glad it wasn't freezing.

      Delete
  15. Yes in my part of Aus it is so bloody hot that one feels like they are going to melt when they venture outside. Last night it cooled down to a pleasant 25°C today it is again around 40°C in the shade in the sun it is more like 45°C or higher.............I am still trying to cough up a lung and my head feels like there are people hitting it with a hammer

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think I have seen the picture of you in your WM vest on a previous blog! Our freezing temps returned just in time for the winter solstice. Happy days are here again (note sarcasm).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You HAVE seen me in that vest before. In fact, I've used it twice. The most recent was when Summer became Fall. Sharp eyes!

      Delete
  17. It looks like you made the most of that extra minute. Love your boa!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  18. I went to a private Christian school and they said God determines how long the days are not the tilting of the planet. I once tried to offer my opinions on the matter and was rewarded with a spanking in the principal's office. Of which he seemed to enjoy thoroughly too much. Thinking maybe he was a convert from Catholicism.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had nuns teach me sex education.
      Yeah.
      No shit.

      Delete