Friday, July 26, 2013

Did You Know?

Don't adjust your computer.  You're at Penwasser Place.
The Chubby Chatterbox is one of the many talented writers on Blogger.
Then there's me.
    A while back, Steve (aka The Chubby Chatterbox) told the tale of a disagreement he was having with his wife, presumably Mrs. Chubby Chatterbox.

    NOTE:  Before I launch into today's post, please visit the link above.  It will take you directly to the aforementioned post (does anyone ever click on imbedded links?).  It'll give you a much better understanding of what the hell I'm talking about.  You may want to read other posts while you're at it.  Steve spins a pretty good yarn and I find myself very much entertained by them.  I'm sometimes saddened by his posts, as well, like when he talked about the death of a violin player.  But, you're just going to have to look that one up for yourself.  I can't do everything, you know.

  Their argument centered around which is really the first day of the week.  Steve thinks it's Sunday and I agree with him.  But, Mrs. Chatterbox made a compelling argument that Monday is really the first day.  I was going to detail each of their arguments, but why in the frik did I give you the link in the first place? 
 
"You so full shit, Thag.
Everyone know Gronsday first day of week."
    The more I thought about it, the more I realize that she may have a point.  After all, Western Culture has chosen Sunday as a day of rest.  I firmly believe that since Jesus was crucified on a Friday and rose on the third day, that took care of the resting part.  Because that whole crucifixion thing really takes it out of you.

 
"Yeah, yeah, Sunday.  Whatever.
We're trying to get an orgy going here, you know."
    What's more, to the people in and around Jerusalem, Sunday was the first day of the week because the Jews had Saturday as their holy day.  So, what do you do the day after you go to church...err...temple?  That's right.  Go to work.  Unless the economy sucks.

  The Romans pretty much didn't care which day of the week it was.  They had enough problems with the Germans.
"Ja.  You betcher ass."
  So, I'm thinking the early church fathers figured, "Aw, what the
"All right, already!!  Have it your way.
 Sunday it is!"
hell?  Besides, we have all these calendars from our insurance agents with Sunday as the first day."


  Carrying on the cultural bias, not every society considers Sunday to be a holy day and, thus, a day of rest.  Take the Muslims.  Please.  

  NOTE:  That was just too easy.

   Their holy day is Saturday.  Or Friday.  Or whenever.  Whatever you do, don't argue.  You seriously don't want to piss those people off.  They've been pretty cranky the past 70 years or so.  

    Let's just put it this way:  it ain't Sunday.  In fact, in places like the United Arab Emirates, the weekend is Friday and Saturday. 

  NOTE:  In Saudi Arabia, the weekend is Thursday and Friday.  Because the Jewish holy day is Saturday and no frikkin' way we share the weekend with those people.  But, let's just stick with the U.A.E.

  So, to Emiratis (I think that's what they call themselves), their big
I'm going out on a limb here,
but probably not one of the 72.  
night to whoop it up (although, considering the Islamic alcohol ban, I'm not sure what kind of "whooping it up"  they can do) is Thursday.  Which is why they have a place called TGI Thursday.  I've actually been to one of these when my ship visited Dubai.  It's really a pretty nice place, despite the aforementioned alcohol restrictions.  But they make do with a wide selection of virgin drinks.  All 72 of them.


Be considerate of others.
Check your bomb vest at the door.

NOTE:  I'm telling you, this stuff writes itself.

    Now, as to the real purpose behind this post, let's talk geography.  As in...which states are farthest north, south, west, and east.  

  As most people know, Maine is the farthest...oh, what?  Crap!  This post is much too long as it is.  Since I don't want to bore you, we'll have to pick this up next time.  In Did You Know II (because I'm too lazy to come up with a clever title, that's why).


33 comments:

  1. I always use to think of monday as the first day until I was corrected. Though my current and last job all have the work week starting on saturday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I work in a school, I'm not all that crazy about the weekend during the summer. That's when everyone's home and there's no peace and quiet.

      Delete
  2. I say they are BOTH right. Saturday is the BACK end of one week, Sunday the FRONT end of the other. Please pass my bill for the going rate for counseling on to the Chubbys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, you're the calendar version of Solomon. You divided the weekend in half.

      Delete
  3. Is TGI Thursday open on Fridays? I'm so confused! I'll try to visit The Chubby Chatterbox and Mrs. Chatterbox over the weekend whenever that may be. BTW, on an episode of Downton Abbey, they were having a conversation about upcoming festivities, when Maggie Smith's character asked, "What is a weekend?" Thought you might want to expound on this for a future "Did You Know" post.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I didn't visit on a Friday, I wouldn't think it would be. Those folks take their holy days seriously. But you can find all sorts of things on the internet (besides monkeys smoking cigars) so I'll check.

      Delete
    2. I did a little research on TGIT which is in the Hotel Astoria in the city now (it was on the main drag to Jebel Ali-where my shipped was docked-when I went there).
      While I couldn't find the hours, I did read a lot of reviews which said it was infested with hookers.
      So, considering that Russian ladies are marketing themselves, I'll venture to say that Imams don't frequent that place. And that it's open on Fridays.

      Delete
  4. Well, Al, I say we start the weekend on Wednesday and end it on Tuesday. That way, Shabbat comes smack dab in the middle, and we'd relax in the middle of a time to unwind. I'm thinking this would appease people of all faiths.

    Kim and Kanye have argued that there's nothing North of North. So, there's your answer. North is as far North as you can get. (Those frikkin morons.)

    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I work for the schools and it's summer, my weekend is Sunday through Saturday.
      Huzzah!

      Delete
  5. TGI Thursdays are a real thing? I don't know why that pleases me so. If you're going to mention that other places have other weekends then the answer is simple; There's no such thing as a universal weekend, and therefore there's no such thing as a universal week. In some places it's Monday, in some it's Sunday, and it seems to be Saturday in some places too. To answer the question of what the official first day of the week is you need to add a location.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No kidding, I was pretty surprised when I saw one. But, as you'll see from my response to Julie above, the one in Dubai is not too terribly religious.

      Delete
  6. I officially state the official day is officially Monday. Turkeys every where agree as our Thanksgiving is on a Monday, or when that mean we are giving thanks for the week to be over and Tuesday is really the day? Canadians don't do anything anyway, so is there even a starting point? So confusing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's the thing about Canadian Thanksgiving. It IS on a Monday. This means you must go to work the next day. I don't know about you but I want the next day to recover (sort of another thanksgiving). Our turkey Day is Thursday and most places just give you the following day off. Then, you can nurse hangovers and the insane people can go shopping before the sun comes up.

      Delete
  7. I love the TGI Thursday idea. Several decades ago, when most of us were paid weekly, Thursday was usually pay-day, so this idea could have wider appeal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember, back in the day when I could do those kind of things, we looked upon Thursday night as an honorary Friday. We stayed out till 3 am and went into work at 7. A little bleary, but we had a good time. Now, my daughter says they call it "Thirsty Thursday" in college. I suspect alcohol may be involved.

      Delete
  8. Great arguments put up here Al but I will say one thing, no matter what day the proper day of the week actually is I think it's a good idea if in doubt to agree with the wife, might save an argument or two! I can't believe there's a TJI Thursdays, almost like TGI Fridays seedier and perverted brother, which is how I view Thursdays compared to Fridays in general.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I read about the hookers, I was reminded about a hotel a friend and I stayed at Dubai. When I mentioned all the girls hitting on me he said, "You know they're working girls, don't you?"
      I was a little less impressed with myself after that.

      Delete
  9. Everyday is the end and start for me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as it starts again the next day, I'm good.

      Delete
  10. As always I appreciate your unique historical perspectives, and I'm honored by your call out to Chubby Chatterbox. I had no idea when I wrote this post that it would stir up such strong opinions from people. Take care, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully, Mrs. CC saw that there are those who share her opinion.

      Delete
  11. So can Sunday be the beginning of the end? Sundays for me are always sad because it is the beginning of the end of the week...end. So hard to argue with Mrs. Chatterbox!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually hate Sundays, because the grim specter of Monday is looming over my head. In fact, I hate Sunday evenings more than Monday mornings. At least on Monday, you're heading towards Friday. And the next Sunday.
      Crap!

      Delete
  12. Ok all I can say is thanks for the post, thanks for the had shaking and for the giggle..........yeah I giggles don't know why I just did

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Giggles are good.
      Even better if milk flies through your nose.

      Delete
  13. One delightful thing about retirement is every day feels like the weekend, so y'all can battle it out without me. I don't care which day is the first day or the last day of the week... they're ALL good!

    I say TGIT should be for "Thank God It's Today." Or is it tomorrow? Whatever.

    Fun post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weekends are meaningless to me. At least until school starts in September. And, if I can't get a job with them again, weekends will continue to be meaningless.

      Delete
  14. I say same as Susan above. Who cares? When you're living off your dead husband's trust, every day is beer day. I'm only kidding, you know that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as you're not living off your dead husband's TRUSS, that'd be okay. Cause that would be wicked icky.

      Delete
  15. The first day of the week is Saturday!
    I spend many years working a company that didn't use a calendar at all. We:
    Used 13 accounting periods of 28+/- days each instead of months...
    There were four, seven day weeks in each accounting period.
    Days were referred to by their number (1-28)
    Day one of each week fell on a Saturday.
    Ergo, the first day of the week is Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now my head hurts.
      Think I'll grab a beer.
      Or seven.

      Delete
  16. My sister's day of rest is Fri. sunset to Sat. sunset. Up until last week, my husband's weekend was Wed/Thurs. so his week started on Friday. Some calendars start on Monday, some on Sunday. The last day of the traditional weekend is on the first day of the week. It's all confusing. I am pretty sure because the US says that Sunday is the first day that it's not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait...wait...let me get a pen and paper....

      Delete