Saturday, June 15, 2013

Paris-The City of Love

Warning:  The following post contains seven uses of the word 'quirky.'
When I Googled 'platypi,' this is what I got.
No kidding. 
  A week or so ago, I visited Valerie Nunez and the Flying Platypi again.  Hoping to find some more of her text exchanges with a stranger which involved Pluto, I instead found a story of her trip to see a friend in Maryland.  Titled Mannequins and Shenanigans (C'mon, click on the link.  You know you want to), it was a tale which involved...uh...mannequins (try and keep up, willya?  Did you even click on that link??), beer, and boobies.

    And, apparently, shenanigans.
Course, I also got this.
I think both shots involved crotches.
  
Wrong Pluto.
Idiot.
It also involved something which I at first thought was a little strange.  Valerie apparently likes to have her picture taken of her licking things (now I know you're going to click on the link).  Not sexual by any means (yeah, you clicked thinking it was, didn't you, you nasty boy?), it's merely a quirky little way of snapping photos which are a little...uh...quirky (sorry, I didn't feel like looking in the thesaurus for another word which means 'quirky').
"No, no, here I am!  I so too am a planet!!!
Assholes."
Coulda been worse.  Coulda been Uranus.
Imagine that.
Rings around Uranus.
Shoulda wiped better.
  While thinking to myself, "Hmm, that's a little quirky." (yeah, imagine that. Me, thinking something is quirky), I realized that I have my own little quirk (there's that word again).  As some of you know, I like to take pictures of myself tying my shoes, usually in front of, or in the background of, a famous spot.  Venice's Grand Canal, a pyramid (one of the good ones.  Not those posers in Central America), the Spanish Steps, the Dead Sea, or the Camden waterfront have all seen me trying to keep my laces tied.

   One of my favorite shots has to be that which I took with the Eiffel Tower in the background and I commented on this to Valerie.  She asked that I post said picture.  On the other hand, she may have just been being polite.  And is currently researching what it takes to draft up a restraining order on Blogger.

    So, at the risk of reposting something which you've already seen, please allow me to once more  post "Paris-The City of Love."

  While our ship was anchored in Marseilles, France (seriously, did you think I meant Marseilles, Illinois?), a group of friends and I decided to take a train to Paris (also in France) to take in the sights, see the Mona Lisa, and eat some cheese (I may have mentioned this once or twice).

  While waiting for the tour to Napoleon's Tomb (rumor has it that he's dead), we decided to stroll about the city while affecting German accents (strangely, this didn't go over all that well.  It's like those French people have zero sense of humor).
  
  During our stroll, we happened to see the Eiffel Tower (golly, you know, you just can't miss that thing. It's like the French Oprah).  I thought it would be cool to get a shot of me tying my shoe with it in the background (why?  I have no frikkin' clue.  But, I think Valerie understands).

  So, I did (which you may have gathered from the picture above).  

  What you don't know......

   See that dog behind me, to the right?  
   
"And I'm not talking
Kibbles and Bits, baby"
 Well, not more than five seconds after my friend told me had the picture, Le Bow Wow decided to introduce himself to me.     Yeah, that way.  I knew I was in trouble when I saw two paws on top of my shoulders and felt a little rhythmic action along with what I could have sworn was some Barry White music playing in the background.
    Luckily, I managed to shake myself free.
    
    After I licked him.
    
    Hmm, come to think of it, Valerie's not so quirky, after all.

52 comments:

  1. I think I like the idea of having a photo of you at the Eiffel Tower getting your shoelaces tied although I too don't know why. Great story Al, I never knew you were in France, that's all the more reason for a hasty surrender right? Seven uses of quirky? That is extreme!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Germans would see me and figured the French have their own problems. So, I'm thinking they'd give them a pass.

      Delete
  2. Nice photo and Very interesting posts. Thank for so much. I love it very much and will recommend it to all of my friend. I would also like to invite you to visit my blog at http://1newbornbabyclothing.blogspot.com/ and share all the baby thing with you.

    http://www.1newbornbabyclothing.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did I miss something here? Who in hell is Valerie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valerie Nunez has a blog which reminds me a lot of me. I wrote a post about this a couple weeks ago ("She Reminds Me of Me"). If you're bored and have nothing to do (yeah, as if, huh?) go ahead and have a look at it to get an idea who she is. At any rate, this will be more than likely be the last time I'll mention her (a person I've never met. Much like yourself) here. I think it's about time I write stuff which is completely from the cobwebs of my brain. Like my usual crap.

      Delete
  4. I thought it was near impossible to get a dog off you once he got a good grip and started his work. Quirk is a fun word though so it's not bad you said it a lot. Consider it a new quirk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did click on the link and as Cindy Lauper says those, "girls just wanna have fun". Hey, I'm jealous, I thought I was the ONLY blogger who got the personalized comment from Kwok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to keep Kwok's blog in mind if my vasectomy wears off or Mrs. Penwasser is visited by the Immaculate Conception.
      You can't be too sure.

      Delete
  6. I knew her modus operandi seemed familiar somehow...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a wonder I never thought of it. I'll just have to settle for that shoe thing.

      Delete
  7. I had to see if "quirky" was even in my thesaurus. Yes it is. Another word, sally. What does sally mean?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Sally" means "quirky."
      Serious Note: I never really knew that. I would have thought (if a gun was put to my head by the Grammar Police) that "quirky" meant "odd."

      Delete
  8. Well at least she knows what is tasty and what is not. I hope you at least stalk with your shoes on lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And those bells which some wise guy tied around my neck.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. It's a variation on a theme which has Klingons on Uranus.

      Delete
  10. I am heading over to check Valerie's blog out now! Have a great weekend Al.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You, too. I'm hoping to get my pool back in action.

      Delete
  11. This just in (yeah, yeah, I know...that's what she said)....there are 346 GERMANS reading this RIGHT NOW. And over 5,000 FOR THE DAY!!!
    I wonder if it has anything to do with that German accent crack...? Or maybe the Germans think it's time to go get 'em for the third time in a 100 years...?
    Developing....
    On a personal note, at least it's not the Russians. Those people were starting to worry me. Thank goodness they're busy in Syria.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you better watch out for them Germans

      Delete
    2. Good thing there's trees on the Champs Elysees. That way, the German Army has shade.

      Delete
  12. Hey... you got to have something, right? And at least you are only tying your shoe....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's better than licking them, I suppose.

      Delete
  13. You tie your shoes? I don't know why but I had you pegged for a Velcro man.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Was the dog going for Uranus or that long, erect thing?

    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he was shooting for the moon.

      Delete
    2. Which one? Rumour has it, Al, Uranus has many moons.

      xoRobyn

      Delete
    3. So THAT'S why it hurts to sit down.

      Delete
    4. Sorry, Al, but there's medical treatment. You can just get the whole thing extracted. Oh no, never mind. I once again confused Uranus with my uterus. Sorry.

      xoRobyn

      Delete
    5. But you didn't have any rings there, did you?

      Delete
  15. You're so silly, Al. I'm sorry to hear you have rings around Uranus. I'd blame the French dog if I were you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I need to invest in a box of those Tucks pads.

      Delete
  16. Stupid Blogger. Wrote a comment and it made me login and than it lost it. The moment's gone. The gist- licking-ew, shoe tying-OK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first saw this, I thought you wrote 'Stupid BOOGER.'
      Well, don't I feel embarrassed.
      And a little stupid.

      Delete
  17. Quirky is the nice way of saying strange...........are you and Valerie strange well maybe so but being different is not a crime yet...........lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strange...weird...quirky...it's all good.

      Delete
  18. There is so much awesome in this post. And that has nothing to do with me. I just tried to explain to Eddie that you like to tie your shoes in front of things... And before I got to the dog humping punch line, he was all "Why?!?"

    So... I licked him.

    The questioned ceased immediately with that knowing Eddie nod. You know, the one that says "Holy shit. There are more people like you out there and now you can communicate with them."

    I bet that dog was looking to get licked the WHOLE time. Dogs have that sixth sense.

    Hugs!

    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I go for the "in your face" shot where it's obvious what I'm doing. These usually elicit a WTF...? There are other pictures that are kinda like a Where's Waldo. In other words, me tying my shoe is not readily apparent-you have to look for me. The shot of me on the Spanish Steps (remarkably Spaniard-free) is one example. Another example is the manger scene at the air station in Millington, TN. Wise Man, Wise Man, Wise Man, Mary, Not-drawn-to-scale-camel, Baby Jesus, sheep, donkey (or 'ass' if you prefer), Joseph, shepherd, shepherd...WTF...is that a sailor tying his shoe in the back!!??
      I think I was dropped on my head at birth.

      Delete
    2. You are my hero... I tip my hat to you, sir!!!

      Delete
    3. Hi, I'm Al, and I'm deranged.

      Delete
    4. Hi I'm Val... I keep virgins in my basement for sacrificing.., for luck.

      Oh... Ohhhhhhhh....

      Delete
  19. I can't believe the dog didn't lick your butt before humping you. Anyway, you're not recognisable in the photo - anyone might think you were a Frenchman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Talk about your basic inconsiderate dog.

      Delete
  20. Replies
    1. I know...that mannequin has it going on.

      Delete
  21. Actually, I haven't been the same since they discovered rings around Uranus. Next you're gonna' tell us that you mean Paris, France and not Paris, Texas or Paris Hilton.

    This post was in Seine in a quirky way. Of course I'll check your link and the one at the top of your posting as well.

    Have a sultana....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The worst is when (WARNING: Junior High School humor to follow) the starship Enterprise has to clean up the Klingons on Uranus.

      Delete
  22. I remember the old tying your shoe pose! I saw you in the same pose from another spot in Europe. We were just in Aix-en Provence at the end of May, and it was freezing cold. We should have taken your lead and gone to Paris instead. Valerie's blog is fun!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've lost track of how many of these things I've done. What tickles me (besides a feather on my ...oh, never mind) is that my nephews are doing it. I've got a shot of one of them tying his shoe in a Florida football stadium and the other one in a southwestern desert. Cool.

      Delete
  23. I was gonna say.... I've never seen that tall spiky thing in Perris, California. I'm going to check out that link!

    ReplyDelete