Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Hey, Hey, Paula

"We're the Food Network and we...uh...hey...did anyone tell Paula to get the hell out of here?  No?  Well, she's sitting right behind the big, bl.....whoa!!  I mean, the bald guy with the glasses.  What?  I can't say bald now???"

    Last week we were informed that the Food Network will not be renewing the contract of one of its most popular chefs, Paula Deen, when it expires at the end of the month.

   What did she do, you might ask?  Did she use abusive language to her bosses?  Was she not pulling in satisfactory ratings?  Did she serve red wine with fish?  Did she spit in the grits fritters?

    Seriously, how do you not know?  Do you live under a rock?  Or do you pay attention to real, important news like, oh, say, the civil war in Syria, drone strikes on innocent civilians, or the birth of North West the striking down of the Defense of Marriage Act?

    Well, if so, you have my admiration.  You have what's in short supply in Hollywood:  a brain.
 
"Michael Jackson was black!!??
Well, hesh my mouth!!!"

    Anyway.....
    
Seriously, she could cook cheese on a shoe
and I'd still put her show on.
    Paula Deen was let go by the linguini-spined Food Network for her use of the "N" Word (and I don't mean Nutrasweet).  This was brought on as a result of a suit filed against her and her family by an employee at her Savannah restaurant, Uncle Bubba's Cornpone Pants or some other such name.
    
    Apparently, the eatery was a cesspool of hate and racial hatred.  The plaintiff insists that Paula used said word and employed racially insensitive jokes on a number of occasions.  Also, Paula evidently said...that word...when she was held up during a bank robbery.
But, will the Food Network get hacked off
if you give the finger to a dying kid twice?

Uh...noooooo.

    Whether or not Paula said such things is beside the point.  She's admitted that she has.  I join with those who detest such language.  It was wrong.    

    However, she has issued what-to me, anyway-sounded like heartfelt apologies asking for forgiveness.  Sounds reasonable, especially since we've all said (or even done) some things which wouldn't stand up well in the light of day.  Hell, I've even said midget when I meant to say dwarf.  And goodness knows, Chaz Bono would probably beat the crap out of me if I ever met her...him...it.

    See?  I did it again.

    So, should an apology just wipe away what she said?  Of course not.  If there is a price to be paid, it should be in the court of public opinion.
"Hey, you can even call Sarah Palin's kid 
retarded and you're good to go!" 


    But, should she have have been canned for it?  Of course not.  The fact that her network felt no loyalty to her is evident.  They caved in to political correctness, pure and simple.

    I won't get into the fact that PLENTY of people, particularly black and white rappers, use the exact same word.  But, two wrongs don't make a right and all that.
"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.  
No?  
Well, what do you frikkin' Jews know, anyway?"
NOTE:  I am not an Anti-Semite

    No, Paula Deen should not have been fired for something she said.

    But, I did have a problem with her incessant use of the term y'all nearly all...the...damn...time.

    That really got on my nerves.

As a white dude, should I be pissed off about this?

We return you now to important news:

    Like....Anthony Weiner continues to stick it out as the Democratic nominee for Mayor of New York City.  

Yay!!!!
Weiner has staying power
    Incidentally, why they don't fire that guy is beyond me.

38 comments:

  1. There was way more involved than the use of the "n" word. I read the charges against her and her corporations--sexual harassment, physical and emotional abuse, discrimination, all kinds of goodies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read all the charges, too. But what gets me is the knee-jerk reaction by the Food Network. If it all proves to be true, then let's see how it turns out. But she was convicted before all the facts are proven. While it all may be true, that didn't matter to the FN. Imagine if someone accused me of something innapproriate just to "get at me." It wouldn't matter that the charges were false. I would be society's pariah. Another case in point: the Duke lacrosse team was pilloried by the press and the public on absolutely false charges. Yet they carry that stain. Okay, since I don't like wearing the Penwasser Serious Adult Big Boy Pants, I'll go back to telling fart jokes.


      Delete
  2. I think the Food Network should have waited until the outcome of the trial against Paula Deen and then made its decision based on the outcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely and that's the point I made to Eva.

      Delete
  3. I totally agree with you (as you might well know from my last two rants. This whole case says less about Paula than it does about the world of today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It smells like that fly trap at the end of my pool.

      Delete
  4. I think the Food Network already hated her, and this was a good excuse to fire her. Don't you think? I can't imagine they were on harmonious terms before the lawsuit, and suddenly let her go. (??) As for Weiner, it seems you have to prove yourself some sort of perve (he clearly has) to achieve any notoriety. Oh what a twisted world we live in.

    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Robyn, you may have hit it on right on the head! I hadn't considered that. If it turns out her restaurant was a hostile working environment and she bandied hateful speech around, then sure go ahead and dump her. But, to do so if the only thing was something she said a long time ago, nope don't see it. In any case, though, it's a shame that the Food Network rushed to judgement. That said, I think you're a genius.
      You're going to see a lot of Weiner here at Penwasser Place.
      Oops...THAT didn't come out like I wanted it to.
      See how easy this is?

      Delete
    2. Well, thanks, Al. She doesn't strike me as someone easy to get along with, so there's gotta be a history with the Food Network. I agree, they were rash. I have mixed feelings on this one. I watched her produce fake, mascara drenched tears and lost faith in her sincerity. As for Weiner, I'm glad you're going keep coming out with and exposing more of that prick. =) xo

      Delete
  5. Twisted world no doubt. I don't even know who she is and the North West thing? That's what sells and all your have to do is follow the money on anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Money often trumps decency and fair play, yes. Ain't that a sad thing?

      Delete
  6. I heard recently that Paula Deen was fired for saying the n word and while it's not right that she used it I still don't think it's particularly fair, it was a one off instance and like you said she apologised. Somebody pointed out Quentin Tarrantino which is probably spelled wrong wrote the n word something like 127 times in Django Unchained and while that was for dramatic license obviously it still just shows you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a white guy, so I may not be the right judge of what is horribly offensive. But, I like to think I'm fair-minded. Movies like "White Chicks" don't offend me; neither does Eddie Murphy's imitation of white guys. In fact, I think it's funny. Further, my ancestry is Irish (as you know) and my (our) people were persecuted by the English. In THIS country, I remember reading about signs which said "Irish Need Not Apply." I'm also a Catholic and there's quite a bit of angst against the "Papists." Among the targets of the Ku Klux Klan were the Catholics. More recently, I was a Sailor. In Norfolk, Virginia, there were signs which (no kidding) said, "Sailors and Dogs Keep Off the Grass." My sister-in-law's family is from Alabama and I have NO problem when she (jokingly!!) calls me a "Yankee Carpetbagger." I have no beef with any of those folks.
      As far as I know, there's nobody out there rounding up Penwassers, so I'm good.

      Delete
  7. I had heard she was in trouble but I actually had no idea what she did. I just heard a lot of people making jokes about it and talking about how wrong she was but not what she actually did. I don't know if she really should have been fired for that, but people have different opinions and loyalty is pretty much non-existent when bad publicity happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned in the Navy that loyalty should run up AND down the chain of command. If one of my people was accused of something, I stood by them until all the facts were in. It's amazing to me how many people are saying Paula is being raked over the coals for something said a long time ago. This she has admitted. But, there may be some validity to the fact that her restaurant was a hostile working environment. This hasn't been proven. Is this true? Or is it one person's grievance against her boss? I don't know. I just wish the Food Network had withheld its judgement.
      Meanwhile, I hear there's a civil war or some such shit in Syria.

      Delete
  8. Anything to get the brain dead interested in the news

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wait.... When did midget become a bad word!?

    I really gotta stop watching Doctor Who on Netflix and watch the news sometime.... JUST KIDDING!!

    Hugs!

    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just call a little person a midget and you can seriously get punched in the nuts.
      Well, not you. Maybe the ovaries, but still.

      Delete
  10. Wow a rant without any fart jokes, look at you go. It is rather pathetic that they have to bend to the will of PC and that crap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess this was as much a rant as I'm capable of.
      Of things like that I like to stay above.
      I really don't like to get serious
      because it tends to make me delirious.

      Delete
  11. I can't even deal with "political correctness" at all. Does it really matter????
    Loved your pun comment on Pat's blog. Yesterday at ranch closing, I related your comment to passing of the deed and it brought the house down. I didn't take the curtain calls but gave you the credit. Ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      It helps to have a warped mind, I guess.
      And the only thing which really matters is that we treat each other as we would like to be treated.
      Christian, Muslim, Jew, Hindi, Pagan, Goat-Worshipper, Kardashian. It applies to us all.

      Delete
  12. I agree. Firing Paula for that was a bit over the top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After everything is played out, maybe. But, NOT before the facts all come out.
      However, Robyn has put an interesting spin on things (you can look above). It's no wonder that I like her. She's so level-headed (but not in a Frankenstein's monster kinda way).

      Delete
  13. Firing her was stupid, especially because it wasn't an at work thing (from what I gather from your post here and TW's.... because I HAVE been under a rock and had no clue what was going on) More importantly, I'm pissed that Cracker Barrel is not located near my house... AND I really don't even want to think about Wiener sticking (it) out. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After what's been going on in the Zimmerman trial, they're opening up a "Creepy Ass Cracker Barrel" near my house.
      I'm so stoked.
      On a serious note (sure, I can do that): Cracker Barrels are fantastic!!
      The Honky Dumplings and Chicken are to die for (I didn't say I could be serious for long).

      Delete
  14. You are completely out of line Al. There's no question that you could take Chaz in a fight. You really should give yourself more credit. I do agree with you about Paula though, and you stated your case very eloquently. I admire your restraint in allowing her photo to speak volumes!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess if Chaz sucker punched me.
      Or popped me in the 'nads.

      Delete
  15. You know there are still plenty of "N" words out there and they are of all colors.
    My late stepfather was black. (in case you didn't know, I'm white). I never thought of him as anything other than a man. I have always said I'm not a racist (I hate every one equally) but if the damn shoe fits then wear it.
    It's a damn word. People need to get over it. I don't think the "N" belongs to just one color anymore.
    Welcome to the Food Coloring Network. (Those idiots lost a ton of money firing her.)

    Oh and by the way I'm not throwing away my Paula Deen pots and pans just cuz they have a little black on the bottom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Food Coloring Network! That's fantastic!!

      Delete
  16. I never understood the whole "Paula Deen is great". I find her annoying as hell. I really don't care what she said or that she got fired. She still has cookbooks and cookware and royalties and all that.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I always thought she was annoying with "ya'll" this and "ya'll" that. I'd much rather look at Giada's boobs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. Except Giada's boobs. I have never paid much attention to those.

      Delete
  18. White people who use the n-word are idiots. But what member of any race hasn't said something crass or ignorant? Did the Food Network return all the money she made them after they fired her?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed.
      Food Network took what they needed and spit her out.

      Delete
  19. I agree. It was stupid of them to fire her.

    ReplyDelete