Monday, November 5, 2012

Glass Half Full

I actually prefer beer.
But, water will do.

FULL DISCLOSURE:  I consider myself one of the lucky ones. 

  I like to think of myself as an optimist (that, and irresistibly good-looking.  Sadly, that ship has sailed).  In fact, you could call me a "glass half full" guy (well, you could call me a lot of other things, too).

  Anyway, unless you live under a rock (or in a cult), you know that Hurricane (or Tropical Storm...whatever) Sandy wreaked a significant amount of havoc in the Northeast United States.  Homes vanished into the sea, dozens perished, and millions were left in the dark, desperately wondering if help would ever come.

  Comparatively speaking, my troubles were piddling.  No running water, no electricity for my blow-up sheep heater, and cold nights huddled in front of my fireplace, reading books like Lincoln.

  If Lincoln had a flashlight.

  The most vexing problem I had was getting juice to the sump pump in the basement.  As our emergency back-up crapped out like Osama Bin Laden, I watched the water inexorably rise, threatening any number of possessions in our..uh...possession.

  Anyway, my neighbor immediately offered to let us tap into one line of his electrical generator so we wouldn't end up with an indoor pool.  His kindness made a "sucky" situation a little less so.

  So, why do I look at a "half full" glass?  Well, unless you live under a rock (that "rock" metaphor sure  comes in handy, doesn't it?), you know that a bitter presidential campaign will culminate in an election tomorrow.  I haven't seen this much rancor and acrimony (NOTE:  Wicked good Words With Friends words) since the Vietnam War.  "If you don't believe in my point of view, buster, I'll kindly ask you to blow your head off."  (NOTE:  Accent of your choosing).

  It would seem that we're falling apart at the seams.
Probably unless you lived
next door to the Manson family.
Then, I'd give them a wide berth.

  But, be of good cheer.  I don't know where my neighbor stands, vis-a-vis (NOTE:  Snooty French term for...oh...screw it, it's French) his politics and I don't care.  The kindness he showed to Mrs. Penwasser and I (despite the handicap of being forced to live next to me), gives me hope in humanity.

  In other words, I think we're all going to be okay.

  But, I still don't ever want to be Amish.
"Oh, ja, Mr. Funny Penwasser English man?
Ve don't need the devil's electricity for our sheep."

31 comments:

  1. lmfao... No but really, I'm glad you guys are OK! As far as the election thing, will be glad when that's all over. This wicked world we live in, vote or not, I imagine they will swing it whichever way they want ;) In other more related news, I too am a half glass full kinda person! - Hang in there AL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that what we do tomorrow really makes a difference. I also hope that, if my guy loses, the other folks were right.

      Delete
  2. It's good people are still pretty nice to eachother when the chips are down, it's just a real shame that it takes a disaster to do it :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish that wasn't the case, but I think you're on to something.

      Delete
  3. It is encouraging to see and hear of all the acts of kindness taking place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. It helps me to realize that most people are a little bit of all right.

      Delete
  4. So glad all is well at Penwasser Place. I'm trying to be more of an optimist, but like they say, old habits die hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really helps when things like this happens.
      The help with the generator, not the hurricane.
      That thing still sucks.

      Delete
  5. Glad your possessions are still in your possession and there hasn't been an actual possession. Great how people help when disaster strikes, if only they'd do that all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The good news is...I really believe these folks would help out anytime. I really hit the jackpot in the neighbor category. I coulda wound up with a neighbor like...uh...me.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for seeing it half-full, Al. I like your perspective.
    And you don't want to ever be a Scientologist either.

    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drive a buggy or jump up and down on Oprah's couch? Hmmm....I'll settle for a lapsed catholic.

      Delete
  7. That was a good story of neighborly kindness. People are just people when the chips are down. I'm a half-full type too. I'm glad you're not going to become Amish. Those beards are just weird looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially since I can't grow one. When I tried to grow a beard, I looked like a cross between Yassir Arafat and Festus from 'Gunsmoke.' Which is bad. Considering they're both dead.

      Delete
  8. An angel in the form of a neighbor came to your rescue? C'mon, add a little more water to that glass. The water could have been in your basement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yeah, how true. I can't tell you much their kindness warmed the cockles of my heart. And heaven knows, we could all use warm cockles.

      Delete
  9. I loved how you buried the French Al although not literally, I hope. Great post man, I'm glad that you're able to poke a bit of fun at everything bad that's gone on in America recently. You come from a proud, strong and glorious country, you guys are gonna be just okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really shouldn't bag on the French all that much. I love their fries. And their toast. And their...uh...um.
      Well, their toast is smashing.

      Delete
  10. Alfons, my frrriend.
    Glad to hear things r going aright.
    One has to gulp down some (hot) air to get to refreshing water.
    Keep in mind that to a cat all water are oceans.

    Uum.

    Think I need some sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a lot of respect for the Amish and their superhuman ability to handle bodily funk as though it doesn't exist.

    Was that not the point?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm...come to think of it, they DO make a bitchin' Shoo-Fly pie.

      Delete
  12. I am so glad that you came through the storm ok and it is so good that you have such great neighbours.
    I bet you guys cant wait for the whole election thing to be over

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In recognition of today, I'm going to put in a new toilet (I'm thinking that may be symbolic somehow).

      Delete
  13. Judging by the news pictures I would imagine that all your glasses are competeley full and overflowing at the moment. Seriously though, I hope you are ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life has pretty much returned to normal. But, another storm is forecast for tomorrow. And we're supposed to get snow. Awesome.

      Delete
  14. I've always had hope for humanity (especially when it comes to neighbors), but alas, politicians are rather separate from humanity. I only watch television once a week, but attack ads and political lies have begun finding their way into my dreams. Whoever wins today (or in a couple months, when the appeals are over), I just hope they all shut up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know quite a bit about history (having lived quite a bit of it), so part of me remains cynical. Then, something like this happens and my faith in humanity is restored ever so slightly.

      Delete
  15. Hey Al...my pal! How are you doing? Hanging in there? Glad your neighbour came to your aid - sump pump and all. At least it wasn't a colonoscopy, so that's a glass half full kinda thing!

    Anyway, I've been watching the election results...whew, I can breath easy again. Even thought us Canucks can't officially vote, we have our ways!!! mmwaaahhhhhhhh...just saying! It's all good, again!

    Hehehehehehhe! The devil in me made me do it...honest! :P

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so far behind in your posts that I feel like I'm cramming for finals! It was so nice of your neighbor to help you out. Though I'm still laughing at your "blow up sheep" line, I'm very glad that you and your family are safe and sound, I really can't imagine all that you've gone through. I hope that you are still doing well with this next round of snowstorms. Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boy, don't I know it about trying to keep up! Unfortunately, it's only going to get worse until the end of the year (a lot of "honey-dos").
      That sheep really ain't baaaaadddddddddd.

      Delete