Saturday, October 27, 2012

It's What I Do

"No, you suck!!"
"You suck!"

   









  Eight months ago, I traveled to Chicago to watch my nephew graduate from Navy boot camp.  My brother, his son, and I traveled by car (a laborious odyssey written about here).  

NOTE:  Go ahead and click on it if you have time.  There's a picture a Horace Greeley and I discover that chickens don't have vaginas. 

  My sister and her family, being infinitely more intelligent, chose to fly.

  Anyway, during the celebration which followed at the Great Lakes Navy Lodge (yes, beer was involved), I was discussing Facebook with one of my nieces.  Now, as those of you who are unfortunate enough to be one of my FB friends, you know that I throw up (probably an unfortunate term) some outrageous crap there (and you thought I only did so here).  Many of those include pictures similar to what you see here, but often of a political nature (NOTE:  For those of you who just got to Penwasser Place-where have you been?-where do you think Facebook Funnies comes from?).

  During the course of our discussion, she remarked to me, "I didn't know you were a Democrat."

  When she said that, I knew that I succeeded in my goal to be an enigma wrapped in a riddle cloaked in a mystery swaddled in a puzzle bathed in bewilderment disguised as an elderly Eastern European wo...well, you get the idea.

  What I'm getting at is that my primary desire in both Facebook and Blogger is to be vaguely non-partisan.  As my bio (have any of you read it?) states, I like to laugh.  While I could engage in political banter (many of you do and do it quite well), I won't.  I have little desire to get into tit-for-tat (hee...hee...hee...I said 'tit') exchanges or what I like to call "Facebook Spats."

  But, for the record (as I told my niece), I am a conservative.

"The bad news?  That law is unconstitutional.
The good news?
You can have a nice piece of ribbon candy, young man."
  I'm not sure why I'm a conservative (note I didn't say 'Republican'-after George W. Bush nominated everybody's grandmother, Harriet Miers, to the Supreme Court, I left the GOP).  But, they still kept after my money for years.  

  I've been one for as long as I can remember.  In fact, I even debated the merits of Richard Nixon versus George McGovern at summer camp in 1972 (yep, lame camp).
  
  The fact that I'm conservative doesn't mean I hate those who are not or think they're idiots.  Just because you don't agree with me doesn't mean we can't have a laugh or that we can't be friends.  How silly would that be?  After all, my very best friend (the character of Tommy Spagnola in Shag Carpet Toilet-get your copy now while millions last on Kindle!-is based on him) would make Alan Alda look like George Patton.

  Yet, we have a bond which transcends political "You Sucks!"

  This all being said, it's probably no secret who I will support on November 6th.  However, I won't be getting into why or why not.  If you've made up your mind, no dopey blog is going to convince you otherwise.  Plus, it's your opinion and you're entitled to it.

  But, I will continue to post things on Facebook which will cause people to wonder on which side of the aisle I fall.  Plus, if I see a picture which I think is funny, it will make it here.  And I won't care if it's a picture of Barack Obama, Sarah Palin, or the Pope.  If it makes me laugh, I hope it will make you laugh.

  Because, after all, it's what I do.

"By the way?  That help at summer camp?
Thanks for nothing.  Watergate, my ass."


33 comments:

  1. I have lost friends over political debates. I don't tend to push my opinion but if they ask....

    Funny is funny and if more people understood that, what a wonderful world it would be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've lost any friends due to differing political viewpoints. The friend of who I spoke and I have an agreement: not to discuss anything of that nature. It's worked for 47 years.

      Delete
  2. I love your attitude about politics Al. You have your own views but you don't hate anybody else just for having different views and that is awesome, more people should be like you in Politics in my opinion.

    " When she said that, I knew that I succeeded in my goal to be an enigma wrapped in a riddle cloaked in a mystery swaddled in a puzzle bathed in bewilderment disguised as an elderly Eastern European wo...well, you get the idea."

    This paragraph genuinely almost made me choke on my water haha, I should know better than to drink when reading posts at Penwasser Place, I'm still laughing at that bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It depresses me. This is the most divisive I've seen my country since the Vietnam era and it's sad. Does it get as whacky over there?

      Delete
    2. I don't think that you'd want to hear about politics over here buddy. We're split between one party whose main policy is that their Catholic and another whose main policy is that their Protestant, it's very sad and outdated.

      Delete
  3. It's very mature of you to be non-partisan - I never take sides in human politics myself unless someone is pretending to be a gorilla. So does being a conservative mean you get to see Sarah Palin's hooters?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's in the contract that the Dark Lord (Dick Cheney) made us sign in blood.
      Unfortunately, the fine print states that they may substitute Ann Coulter instead of Palin.
      Ewwww.

      Delete
  4. I need to take life lessons from you. I can be so immature and bratty about politics. Honestly, I can't wait for the election to be over so I can be friends with all of my Facebook friends again who were so vocal about their political views.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Facebook can be frikkin' nuts. I considered just "unplugging" from all social media until after November 6th. But, I couldn't do it. God help me, I love it so.

      Delete
  5. haha that must have been one boring summer camp. If more people just kept their opinion and didn't try to shove it on others, letting them have their own, all would be grand. The pope might be out of business then though haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got tired of just whittling sharp sticks.

      Delete
  6. I tend to get opinionated and have to bite my tongue, frequently, to keep peace! I am passionate in my beliefs. 'Can't help it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I and sometimes the safety valve on my vocal cords fails. But I do the best I can to concentrate on what makes us similar. Not what sets us apart.

      Delete
  7. It's actually good you can laugh at your own chosen party and candidate, it shows you don't blindly follow them. If I had to choose between democrats and republicans I would probably choose the democrats myself. Making people laugh, and having a laugh, is what you do and you should continue to do it, no matter who is the butt of your jokes.

    Heh, I said butt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a whole LOT to make fun of. Sometimes it's like shooting fish in a barrel. For every Joe Biden, there's a Dick Cheney.
      Hee...hee...hee...I said "dick."

      Delete
  8. i'm an undeclared for the very reason that i hate affiliations that can cause so much strife. i went to vote on the last election around here and they told me that unless i declared a side, i couldn't vote except for one amendment issue. so that's all i did. i want to vote for who's best, not for whoever is on a certain team.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't want to be tagged with ANY party. That's why I'm registered as an "Independent." It hurts me during Pennsylvania's primary elections, but I'm happy with my choice.

      Delete
  9. Re: debating for Nixon.

    I knew there was a reason I liked you, Al!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was all full of myself after the election of 1972. Then, after Nixon resigned, my liberal friend lorded it over me. Then, we went back to chasing girls.

      Delete
  10. I don't understand this idea of being labeled a conservative or liberal. I guess I'm a mix of both, but I don't think government is the enemy. It can be a marvelous tool for getting things done, if channeled properly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you're non-partisan with your laughter. Even my favorite candidates, the Green Party ones, will make you chuckle as hard as the GOP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all have foibles. The crime is when someone denies they don't have any.

      Delete
  12. That's why I don't get into it either. I'm pretty sure that anyone who has followed my blog for a while knows which side of the liberal/conservative fence I'm on, and that's enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really take pains to avoid all this strife on my blog. I'm not as successful on Facebook, but even there I'm conscious of what I write.

      Delete
  13. I have friends on both sides. I hide all the political crap on Facebook cause it drives me nuts. I hate the labels conservative and liberal. I don't like either of the top two, but I am sure you have figured that out by now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loathe "Facebook Spats." The cloak of anonymity there can really make for some very nasty exchanges.

      Delete
  14. I know we currently don't agree on things political and that's fine with me. I love that you don't let that cloud your judgement of me or my thoughts.

    I was actually thinking the other day though, that the Republican party is so different now, and it seems like the candidates are so thrown to the right (thinking of Congress more than the pres. candidates) that's it's really a shame. I saw a Republican once on some show who said "It's no longer your grandparents republican party." Which I think is sad. The core of the party had good values and points as did the Dem. party. Now it's just opposite ends of the spectrum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the best thing we have in common is that we're human beings with all the good/bad/crazy things that that entails. The rest is jive and won't amount to a hill of beans when all is said and done.

      Delete
  15. Does this mean you voted for Bristol Palin on Dancing With The Stars? Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, I didn't know she was on it. Wasn't Chaz Bono on it, too?

      Delete
    2. Yes he was, and Cher even cheered him on before he got voted off I knew that you didn't watch the show, especially when it's up against Monday Night Football da, da, da! Julie

      Delete
    3. Whew! I'm glad you knew that. I'm more sophisticated than being a fan of that show. I much prefer watching wrestling and truck pulls. ;-)

      Delete