Monday, May 2, 2011

An A-Z Challenge Retrospective


Cue the theme to “Masterpiece Theater” (NOTE:  I’m too cheap to pay for the music download).

  As I sit here, broken-hearted, came to sh....no, that’s not right.  Let’s start again.
  Looking back on the past month, I find myself awash in the golden memories which come from the fact that it rained an awful frikkin’ lot and that I’ve had the opportunity to get to know quite a few of you via the A-Z Challenge.
  This annual contest, coordinated by Arlee Bird of Tossing It Out gave each of us a chance to wax lyrical (or wax car) on a different letter of the alphabet.  The idea was that, with the exception of Sundays, each day of the month would feature our take from A from Z.
  Predictably, some letters were more challenging than others, particularly ‘X.’  I was amazed that apparently everyone copied my idea of “X-Men.”  Of course, this may be due to the fact that, since I didn’t read the frikkin’ directions, I wrote articles on Sundays.  So, I was ahead of everyone else by four days.
  Plus, ‘X’ sucks.
  I’m looking forward to doing this again next year (presuming I don’t assume room temperature by then).  I really liked getting to know each and every one of you.  I’m happy to add you to my cadre of “must reads.”
  The A-Z Challenge also gave me a chance to use a dictionary shake the cobwebs from my brain as it drove me to come up with a variety of topics.
  On the downside, I got tired near the end.  The drain of writing for 26 straight days (remember, I’m the dope who didn’t read directions) was a strain (hey, that rhymes!).  This is especially difficult for someone born when Buddy Holly was still alive.
  I also wrote some pretty long posts, posts that I would ordinarily break up into several parts.  This was a heavy price to pay for my readers because, a little Penwasser goes a long way (I don’t know, that just sounds dirty).
  Another downside is that I haven’t been able to pay as much attention to those blogs I love to read.  So, if it looks like I haven’t visited in a couple of days, you’re right, I haven’t.  My apologies.
  As I settle back into my regular routine, I’ll be sure to check in on you (I don’t know.  Is this a bad thing from your perspective?).
  But, all in all, this was a fantastic month. 
  Whaddya say, old chums?  How ‘bout we meet again on April 1, 2012 (I think we have until December 21st until the world ends, don’t we?)?
  Thanks, Arlee!    
Best fishes,
Al  

17 comments:

  1. Same time next year. That is, unless my husband loses his job and I have to go live in a cave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a little goes a long way... you are making me giggle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you did a pretty good job on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Al on crossing the finish line - way ahead of the rest of the pack - re the Sunday posting.
    I actually confess I didn't read the directions either - hence the temporary tattoo hurt when I ironed it on!

    You really did knock me dead with your posts - full of energy, substance and fun!
    And like you, I found it hard to get around to my regulars and leave a little "Lucky" charm behind!

    But...now that the dust has settled we're back at it...sleep in until 10am, coffee, a little typing, a little more coffee, lunch, type, walk the dog, check the Inbox, afternoon nap, evening news on the telly, serious blog hopping, dinner, drink, a touch more typing, turn off Mac, bed - damn it's a rough life!

    It was a fun ride - wasn't it indeed!
    Cheers, Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is this a case of "less is more?" 'Cause I'm not buying it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My hat is off to you and all your fellow challengers! That is a heck of a lot of posts in one month. You done good! And I enjoyed it immensely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats Al on getting through the whole challenge. The only reason I didn't join in was because of having to move and all the stress we're under pending this damn disability thing. So I hope to join you next year if you still remember us peons when your blog goes up to 1000 followers!!!! Even if I don't comment, I still read it. You are one funny guy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Ruth: There's always the passenger pigeon. Oops, wait a minute. No, there isn't. Maybe you'll find a cave with Wi-Fi if the unthinkable happens.
    @baygirl: The only problem is that little usually has little legs, so he doesn't go all that far. Maybe I exaggerated?
    @Oilfield: Thanks!
    @Jenny: Your schedule sounds exactly like mine. I'm looking forward to getting back to regular business. I miss you guys.
    @Eva: Darn. And I was having a sale!
    @PAMO: As Elvis would say, "Thank you. Thank you very much. Now how 'bout gettin' me anudder peanut butter and banana sammich, Priscilla?"
    @Barb: You've had quite the month, that's for sure.

    OK, watch out. I'm now going visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A month of one post each day is a heap of writing, but you did it splendidly, and I enjoyed reading them very much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Learning the alphabet with Al. That's a bestseller right there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Clipped and AC. I'm glad I kept notes. Now I won't forget it's 'I' before 'E'. Oh, crap, THAT'S not right!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on winning the A to Z Challenge! (I do hope you won something for finishing first. I mean, I finished four days after you did, tied with 1000+ other bloggers, and even I got a .jpg with a zebra on it.)

    And 26 straight days... wow. I applaud you. You're a better man than I... or perhaps just more masochistic.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's all right - I missed some of my regulars during the Challenge. And I only saw one other X-Men post! Must've been at the wrong end of the list that day. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Nate: I got a cool zebra picture. And you just can't put a price on that!
    @Alex: I enjoyed all the alphabet posts I read and thought all the other X-Men ones were better than mine. The challenge was a hoot, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, so long as the world doesn't end on May 21st like that one guy's been saying we can do it again next April.
    Your Reflections were in your true form of humor (or falsely humorous if you were trying to be serious--oh yeah, I can see that happening).
    Thanks for bringing many a smile, laugh, and even groans to the A to Z Challenge. We were glad that you joined in the fun.


    Don't forget to pick up your Winner's Badge at my site.
    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh EM Gee, I like your style :) I'm a bit late to your party but it would appear you keep it going 24/7 so I don't feel so bad :)

    Congrats for completing the challenge and PLEASE keep doing what you do, you are HYSTeriCAL!

    Just sayin'...

    Gotta get back to hopping...

    Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete