Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The 12 Days of the Winter Solstice


  Oh, I don't know....the holidays bring out the poet in me. The hustle and bustle of Yuletide shopping, the hushed reverence of the season, the wonder in a child's eye as he takes in a riotous display of multi-colored  Christmas lights, the consulting of the entrails of an owl as "people of nature" attempt to divine the omens of the coming year...  Oh, it's all so thrilling.
  It's in that spirit that I trot out a favorite carol of mine. Inspired by "The 12 Days of Christmas" I chose not to write the entire excruciatingly long song (I mean, how repetitively boring IS the whole thing?  It's like a holiday version of "100 Bottles of Beer on the Wall.")
  So, without further adieu...
On the 12th Day of the Winter Solstice, a Druid gave to me....
12 Anglo-Saxons
11  Romans roaming
10  Crows a-cawing
9    Vikings raiding
8    Pagan wizards
7    Wooden idols
6    Lunar Elf gods
5    Stonehenges
4    Celtic runes
3    Chicken bones
2    Solar flares
And a goat's head in a fir tree 

2 comments:

  1. I'm a sucker for a good Solstice carol.

    May yours be merry & bright. Our UU church constructs an indoor labyrinth each year -- the kids lay out the path with candles and encouraging messages along the way. Good, quiet, relaxing fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All joshing aside, I'd be very interested in that...
    My own personal philosophy, as long as all is peaceful and good, what harm can ANYthing possibly do?
    Even a goat head in a fir tree! ;-)

    ReplyDelete